Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How would i find dancer and a singer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 3 Jan 2011 20:56

Please would anyone know how i can find out more about a professional dancer and a singer. in the 1800's

I have tried google but not had much luck

Anyone got anymore ideas?

Thank you

Hazelx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jan 2011 21:23

care to give details?

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 3 Jan 2011 21:30

Jane Dixon nee Winder born abt 1826 St Pancras was the singer

Charlotte Jane Celia Dixon b 1850 St Cement Danes Middlesex was the dancer.

Thank you.

Hazelx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jan 2011 22:44

sorry Hazel, nothing on google or the census - someone will come up with something for sure!!!!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Jan 2011 22:48

Might be worth cross reference to this thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/trying_to_find/thread/1253588

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 3 Jan 2011 23:05

I have Charlotte on 1871 as a dancer and Jane as singer on 1851(jane surname is put as dickson)

I was hoping to find out how well known they may have been.sorry didnt word it very well.

Thank you both anyway.

Hazelx

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 3 Jan 2011 23:14

Try rootschat as they have a section on occupations

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 3 Jan 2011 23:14

ok thank you

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 3 Jan 2011 23:14

the stage magazine archives would be a good place to start, however if she was an amateur there might not be any mentions of her.

Also the British Library has "The Era" magazine archives available.

Both of which are subscription based, but are pretty reasonable in price.

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 3 Jan 2011 23:28

Thank you for that

For Charlotte it does say professional dancer( on 1871). But that may not be true, Also they may not have used they real names when on stage.

Well thank you all again for your help. I am off to bed now.Will check on here when i get in tomorrow nite.

Hazelx

Kiwibird

Kiwibird Report 9 Jan 2011 08:32

Your Best chances of finding more on your Singer and Dancer, would be to check out Old Newspapers for example The London Times which has extensive archival material on Line.
I have a Stage Actress in my family who performed in the late 1800's, While she was Famous, it was through little pieces in Newspapers that I was able to put together a picture of her life.

The papers have a Heading called ENTERTAINMENTS which shows adds for Plays, concerts musicals etc and the names of Dancers and Singers performers are usually shown.
Many of these shows would travel around the country and appear for a few nights in different towns.
So do not limit yourself to London Papers only.

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 14 Jan 2011 13:44

Thank you for that Kiwibird.

Sorry late getting back to you as been away plus didnt have my computer it was in for repair.

I will look in to that.

Hazelx