Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

patty holden (nee shelton) a long shot

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sara

Sara Report 8 Jan 2011 15:59

after many years of bashing my head against brickwalls, i am finally starting to solve a few of my holden family secrets. even starting to put a bit of flesh on my skeletons so to speak
to cut a long story short(ish), i found a gravestone in todmorden that stated my 3 x g/grandma patty holden was interred in st saviours church london.d. 29/09/1834.i then recently found a london buriel record for above lady.-buried 02/10/1834 at st saviours, southwark, surrey. was living at gravel lane.done a bit of research on that address, seems that there was an almshouse for 10 poor women of the district there.now i know that doesnt necessarily mean she was actually living there or destitute etc, but.......
patty and her husband james were living in gedling, notts from around 1829 onwards. patty was from there and i have a baptism record of their youngest from may 1835 in gedling. she was not a widow. her husband didnt die till`66 ? a mechanic and she had 3 other children, 2 of whom turn up in the `51 census living with granny holden.it seems that james abandoned these 2 after pattys death? why.
sorry for rambling, but what i would like to know is if there is anyway i can find anymore about patty around the time of her death. eg church or almshouse records and if so if anyone has any addresses or contact details that i could try. many thanks

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Jan 2011 17:55

Try the London Metropoliton Archives they are the most likely place if any records exsist from that time,,They could have belonged to the church or a benevelant trust set up by someone wealthy,

the Patty that died was given the age 31,bn abt 1803.

Sara

Sara Report 8 Jan 2011 18:39

yes, she was only young. i will try the met archives - thank you,i think i will need to plan a visit to london to visit them, as i dont think there is much of detail online. just think it was all very sad. the family didn`t seem to be destitute. i originally thought she died in child birth, but records show otherwise. my g/grandma on my dads side of the family died in prestwich poorhouse a week after giving birth. turned out, whilst they were fairly poor,the reason she went in was because she was sick anyway and whilst women generally had babies at home, these poorhouses served not only the destitute, but as a hospital to the poor sick. so sad - her daughter was never taken out of there by her dad or anyone and died of "atrophy" 6 months later.tragic family really