Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army personal pre and post ww2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 9 Jan 2011 18:09

Hi

Can anyone please advise me on how to go about tracing a service number and regiment for my grandad he was in the army pre and post ww2, his name is James Matthews B 20/10/1907 Middlesbrough, Yorkshire.

Any advice greatly received thank you.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Jan 2011 18:28

Do you know if he was in the army at the time of his marriage or when any of his children were born? If so you might find his service number on one of the certificates.

Kath. x

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 9 Jan 2011 19:02

You could send for his service records, if you are NOK that is.

However there is a charge of £30-00 and can take months to get them.

Here is the link to the veterans Agency to whom application has to be made, and explains all.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Note these records are not online they are still held by the MOD

George

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Jan 2011 20:04

As George has said the only way is to apply for his service record.

If either you grandfather or grandmother is still alive then they will have to apply or give you permission to apply on their behalf . In these circumstances there is no charge.

If your grandfather and grandmother have passed away then you will need to provide evidence of your relationship i.e. copy death certs, birth certs, marriage certs, as appropriate, to prove your relationship to your grandfather. The fee of £30 will also be payable in this case.

I applied for my dad's information and it took about 4 months from start to finish. I also was able to receive his war medal, which he refused to accept at the time as he felt he was unworthy.....!

Records are not held in one central palace but in various archives, depending on service and regiment. Thus the time it takes to receive information varies and it is difficult to estimate how long it will take.

Renes

Renes Report 9 Jan 2011 21:29

On a general mote on Service records - I have two "Servive Records " from FMP - pension entitlement records in reality - I assume - but they both have National Archive references on them

Would the record held at NA show more information than I have from FMP
As one a Sgt - was imprisoned - and I would like to know what for

Many thanks

Irene in Spain

Angela

Angela Report 9 Jan 2011 21:46

Thank you for taking the time to reply, my mum was born in 1940 and she just knew that he was in the army prior and after she was born and we have photos of him when he was posted in India, on his marriage certificate he is a barman in London with my nana working in service. Will get my mum to sign documents and try to obtain records for him.

Regards Angela

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Jan 2011 10:39

Things may be different now but when I ordered my father's and father-in-law's army records about 6 years ago you had to have the service number and regiment before you could order the records. I waited about 9 months for them to arrive.

Kath. x

Renes

Renes Report 10 Jan 2011 15:46

Nudging up in hope some one answers my question posted yesterday

Thanks

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 10 Jan 2011 15:57

Irene

Quite possible that there will be more records at Kew on his imprisonment.

William

William Report 10 Jan 2011 17:09

Its worth bearing in mind that many Army Records were damaged by bombing in 1940. Was dispirited to find my grandad's records were quote water-damaged and partially unreadable unquote. MOD rather dismissive and refused to let me look at originals (I had in mind getting professional help to use special viewers, lightbox, etc). This was despite the fact my uncle was actually head of that office at one time !!

Renes

Renes Report 10 Jan 2011 17:51

Thanks for reply Annie Laurie

Irene

Tetley

Tetley Report 10 Jan 2011 19:44

Hi Irene

I only had my fathers date of birth and place of birth. They managed to find him ok.