Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mid 1700s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merv

Merv Report 15 Jan 2011 08:03

it appears that when i get to around the mid 1700s on several of my family trees i draw a blank on the births and baptisms ,and although i possibly have the family links prior to that ,early 1700s .I have 3 trees where can find the marriages late 1700s but not the baptisms births for those people,yet same church same area it seems the family where there before, example Nehemia Matthews married 1780s Guidford Surrey yet cannot find birth but same church St Marys Guildford can find a Nehemiah 1709, 2 other direct trees i have had same problem filling the gap inbetween (was there something going on around the mid 1700s that baptisms where not listed?)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2011 09:59

I think it was the beginning of the Industrial Revolution which meant movement from the country to find work.

Your lacking of PR for the period could easily be just a case of the records being illegible or destroyed. They may still exist but damaged by damp, mould or rodents.

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Jan 2011 10:16

Couples usually married in the brides parish.
All the baptisms are on familysearch
(Saint Mary) C074081 1755-1876 C074082 1540-1753

NEHEMIAH MATTHEWS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 27 OCT 1822 Saint Mary, Guildford, Surrey, England

mac

mac Report 15 Jan 2011 10:32

I've found a lot of gaps in the familysearch records even though they claim to cover from year xxxx to year yyyy for a parish, there are records missing from their database. Have found both births & marriages in the parish records held at our local records office that familysearch didn't have.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 15 Jan 2011 13:37

And of course not all Churches allow their records to be filmed. When I first started searching nearly 30 years ago, my local LDS library, now familysearch online, had a map of the counties stating how many records had been filmed. At that time, Northumberland was 98%, but Somerset was 4%, so not much hope of finding anything without visiting that area.