Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Caerphilly Glamorgan Wales

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jan 2011 14:42

Parish Church of St Martin. I have a book of listing for 1813-1924 Baptisms
1813 - 1923 Burials. 1813 - 1820 marriages.

I am happy to look up for you but it would help me if you would PM me as well as putting on here in case I miss it. Just an alert PM would be sufficient.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Jan 2011 14:13

Nobody need it then?

Christine

Christine Report 16 Jan 2011 20:13

Ann, what a kind offer. Is there a record for Donald Hill, born October 1913?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Jan 2011 09:39

Pmd you Christine. I think I have found him this time.

Christine

Christine Report 17 Jan 2011 10:06

Thank you Ann!

it is him indeed! Donald was my father and this gives me more than I knew before. I didn't know that they lived in Broomfield Street for example , I only knew about a house in Bedwas Road where he grew up. I was also interested to see that Walter was described as a mason. He was a stonemason from Cornwall and went to do building work in the pits in S Wales because of lack of work in Cornwall - obviously he was still proud of his original trade.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Jan 2011 12:54

Pleased to help Christine

Golfman

Golfman Report 17 Jan 2011 17:46

Ann

My family of Venn's, 3 brothers their spouses and children moved from Bedminster to Caerphilly around 1907.

Many of them are buried in St Martins churchyard.
Would be interested in any entries of baptisms & burials post 1907 exist for surname Venn. They all lived on Bedwas Road, Caerphilly.

Thanks

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Jan 2011 18:01

Tony

Venn Dorothy Marion father William miner mother Elsie 5 Oct 1921 46 Bedwas Rd
Olive May father John miner mother Norah 2 March 1922 78 Bedwas Rd
Percy father William miner mother Alice 29 April 1915 82 Bedwas road

Burial
Venn Edna May 29 March 1921 46 Bedwas Rd

No Marriages

Golfman

Golfman Report 17 Jan 2011 20:35

Ann

Thanks very much for the information re Venn's

Christine

Christine Report 17 Jan 2011 22:15

Tony, your Venns and my Hills must have been neighbours in Bedwas Road. They must have moved there when my father was quite young and didn't leave there until 1928. He and his brother went to Pontygwindy school.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jan 2011 22:14

Christine, that was a coincidence wasn't it?

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jan 2011 23:32

Ann, yes it was. I suppose it isn't a very big place though, and was even smaller then. It was probably the area that most of the mine workers lived - even more likely that they would have known each other. I have been racking my brain to try and remember people my father used to talk about, but they didn't all come with surnames, unfortunately.

We have a school group photo somewhere with my father in it. Tony's Percy Venn would have been a couple of years younger, but may well be in it too.
I bet my grandmother would have gone to Edna May Venn's funeral - she was a great one for weddings and funerals!