Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

war medals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 17 Jan 2011 16:38

I have just been given some WW2 medals which are in need of a clean which is the best way to clean them
Thanking you Margaret

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Jan 2011 17:13

Margaret

If you don't ave any luck on here then you could post a question on the WW11 forum

http://www.ww2f.com/

You do have to register.

Chris

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 Jan 2011 17:25

Hi Margaret,

Is there any particular reason you want to clean them? Over the last 60 years they will have built up a patina that will represent the age that they are.

My father had his Grandfathers medals put into a double sided glass frame to show them off........ when he collected them the kind picture framer had cleaned them!!!! Argh............. they looked crisp, shiney , bright and NEW!!! So basically it ruined them.

Sorry Margaret I'm a stickler for leaving some things as they should be.

Dee x

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 17 Jan 2011 17:52

Margaret

Here is a link ref cleaning medals, the adice is DONT

http://www.xavierb.net/japan/clean.htm

George

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 17 Jan 2011 18:31

thank you all i will leave them alone
Margaret

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 18 Jan 2011 10:56

MGH

I can see your point, yes if a person in the forces had worn them in a dirty looking condition on parade he would be in trouble or any other item as well, i know that from my own cost

When i inherited my fathers WW2 Royal Navy medals i had them proffesionally mounted, so now behind glass, that's were they have been for the past 20 years never cleaned since, still look good

The guy who did them, simply wiped them over with soapy water, so its the degree of cleaning that matters

Im sure my Dad is not going to mind that i dont keep them in parade ground shiny condition,he would be more impressed that i treasure them.

George

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 18 Jan 2011 23:02

My hubby has collected medals for over 40 years. He cleans them with either metal cleaning cloth or sometimes soaks them in brown sauce.
I would say that I prefer them with a bit of tarnish but when you see them all nice and shiney it's hard not to clean them all.lol
Maybe you could try on the back of one and see what you prefer.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Jan 2011 08:48

Best way to clean ww1/2 medals and silver is with------

cigarrette ash and gentle rub. !,it doesnt strip the patina right back but leaves a warm glow rather than a bright dazzling new look finish.
try it it works;}

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 19 Jan 2011 13:06

Yes MGH thats what my hubby uses too