Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Speedy Will returned..is this a record?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 17 Jan 2011 19:59

I posted off 5 Will applications last Wednesday...they should have been collected from the box at 5pm that day as it is only emptied once a day.

so it couldn`t have arrived in Cardiff till Thursday morning at the earliest..

Today Monday lunchtime it was delivered to me!!!..how quick was that

As that particular Will had probate granted in LLandudno in 1940 ,I sent the application to the Cardiff office

The other 4 have gone to London........ to the Principle Registry

I suppose i could have posted them all off to Wales couldn`t I? as it dosn`t have to be the office where probate was granted does it?

Nicky

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jan 2011 00:29

That's really quick Nicky. Yes, you could have sent to Cardiff for all of the wills.

I have only ordered wills once - just after the Probate Calendar was added to Ancestry - and I had to wait a month for them, so you did really well to get one back in a few days.

Kath. x

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 18 Jan 2011 11:07

Obviously Cardiff arn`t that busy!...........in future then I well send them all there.

There is a note on the HM website saying that the York office is under siege with all the applications, and to expect delays...

I`ve previously got some of my Wills from The National Archives for £3.50, , just downloaded them and then printed them off...thats a very good service.

i`ve had others from County Record Offices... the staff at Cambridge in particular were very helpful..

I think the release of the Probate calender on Ancestry has seen a huge increase in the demand.

Nicky

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jan 2011 11:25

The Wills that I waited a month for were ordered from York but were sent from Birmingham!! I will try Cardiff next time.

Kath. x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jan 2011 11:40

we're fast here in Cardiff!!!!

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 18 Jan 2011 12:59

Well it looks like then that the busier Probate offices maybe delegate their applications elsewhere....so probably pot luck with which one you pick?

My posts just been today and no more Wills.... think i`m in for a bit of a wait now....

Nicky.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Jan 2011 17:14

Just to add.
3 Wills for postal service ordered on visit to Probate Office London, last Friday, arrived today, normally have to wait 2 - 3 wks.

(also got brilliant results from Kensal Green Cemetery, regarding info. on family grave mentioned in Will)

Well pleased here! :-))

Chris :)

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 22 Jan 2011 18:21

Think the postal applications at the London office must go to the back of the queue...

I still havn`t recieved any of the other 4 I applied for.....

Nicky

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 29 Jan 2011 20:19

2 and a half weeks now...stilll no sign of the other Wills, but the cheques have all been paid in so i live in hope...

Ordered another by post from Hampshire Records Office Winchester, it was posted Monday 24th so be intresting to see which turn up first!!

Nicky

Chris Ho :) Report 30 Jan 2011 08:40

I wondered if you'd got them yet Nicky...still not then :-(
Fingers crossed for this week definitely, hoping too they contain good info.!.

Sheila

Sheila Report 17 Feb 2011 14:18

I sent off a cheque for 5 wills to York on 7 January 2011. The money came out of my account on 17 January. According to their recorded message they aim to process 21 working days after a cheque is cashed. I am still waiting.
Have just phoned their other number and again a recorded message. This says they are currently processing applications received on 29th November!. Am hoping they just haven't updated the message otherwise I am in for a long wait.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 17 Feb 2011 20:28

Mine all finally arrived after 3 weeks in one envelope from Winchester Probate office...so it looks as though London dos`nt deal with their own requests.

The one from Hampshire recrods office turned up before all the others though.

I think i`d email them Sheila if i was you....they`ve had your money for over a month now........you should have received them by now.

Nicky

Barbara

Barbara Report 18 Feb 2011 01:13

I too sent to York but the Will arrived from Winchester (took about 3 weeks or so)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Feb 2011 09:29

Phew!, glad they finally arrived Nicky :-)
Happy reading!.

Fingers crossed for Barbara now...