Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Online birth certificate application

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Scatty Patty

Scatty Patty Report 23 Jan 2011 11:36

I'm sure this has been anwered before but how do I get a birth certificate thro' GRO site when I cannot give the actual DATE? I only know the quarter, year, reg district, vol and page no.

Regards - Pat

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Jan 2011 11:45

On the first page you have to tick a box to say that you have the vol and page.
edit
For all events
Is the GRO Index Reference Number known? (Explanation) Yes No

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jan 2011 12:17

As long as the birth is not within the last 50 years you can do as SatNav has advised. If the birth IS within the last 50 years you have to have exact details from the birth certificate including parent's names.

Kath. x

Scatty Patty

Scatty Patty Report 23 Jan 2011 12:35

Thank you both so much. It's a 1970's birth so now I guess I will somehow have to find out the exact date. This is all news to me. Can't find anything on GRO site which specifies this!

Kind regards - Pat

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Jan 2011 12:39

What certificates can I order online?
You can order certificates online for birth, death, marriage, civil partnership and adoption events registered in England and Wales and for certain British Nationals who were born, married or died overseas. You can also order specially designed marriage certificates for silver, ruby, golden and diamond wedding anniversaries.

For births, marriages and deaths, you may apply online for any certificate if you have the full GRO index reference. In the case of events in the last >50 years you will be prompted to supply further details as you complete the online application form. <

Scatty Patty

Scatty Patty Report 23 Jan 2011 12:55

Thanks. I missed that. I've been doing this for ages but I suppose that all of the certificates I've had have been old ones hence the gap in my knowledge.

Pat

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Jan 2011 14:13

The questions you have to answer are tailored according to the information you supply on the first page, i.e. cert type, year of event and whether or not you have the GRO ref.

If you can't supply all the details this doesn't mean you cant apply for a cert, just that you cant do it over the internet.

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Jan 2011 15:22

If you do not have the GRO index reference you may still apply online for any event which took place on or after 1st September 1837 to 6 months from the current date (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months). A 3 year search for the index reference will be carried out. You must supply the exact date of event if you have it. If you don't have the exact date enter 01/01/YEAR and we will search the specified year and one year either side.

Again, you will be prompted to supply further details for more recent births and deaths as you complete the online application form. If you are unable to complete the mandatory fields then you will not be able to apply online.

antony

antony Report 23 Jan 2011 22:48

how do i get birth,marriage and death certificates and were from
any help or tips appreciated

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jan 2011 23:22

Antony

It's always better if you have a request to start your own thread. However this is where to order certificates online:-

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

They cost £9. 25p each

Kath. x