Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

phatton

phatton Report 28 Jan 2011 10:24

Hello

Hope this is the correct forum to post this type of question

I have just discovered that a likely candidate for my 2x great grandfather (right name, place and date of birth) was in Hulme Cavalry Barracks during the 1861 census.

Is there a way to find out which regiments were stationed there then, as it doesn't appear to be recorded on the census. I know that there were at least 6 different regiments over a period of time, but not sure how to find which one(s) were then in 1861.

Thank You

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Jan 2011 10:38

Have you tried a google search? There is this:

http://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/gone/hulmebarracks.html

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Jan 2011 10:44

According to Google the 1st Royal Dragoons were there in 1854.

The 15rh Hussars were there earlier than that.

Kath. x

phatton

phatton Report 28 Jan 2011 10:57

Thanks for the suggestions. I had found the manchester history link, and although it lists a few regiments, doesn't give any idea when each was posted there.

1st Royal Dragoons aren't mentioned on that site, but it'd be nice to know that he was serving in that....now the Blues and Royals wow :-)

Can you post the link which suggested that please Kath?

Thanks both

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Jan 2011 12:37

It's on the link that brummiejan gave. If you scroll down to near the bottom of the page it mentions the 1st Royal Dragoons.

http://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/gone/hulmebarracks.html

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 28 Jan 2011 14:33

Have you tried looking for his Army Record on findmypast?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 28 Jan 2011 18:33

If his record isn't on FindMyPast, go back a few pages on the census until you come to the officers - they will probably have regiment mentioned, or, if not, you can search for the Officers names in the online London Gazette (choose ones with more unusual surnames!), to find out which regiments they were in.

Bear in mind there may have been more than 1 regiment at the Barracks - the officers for your man's regiment will hopefully be immediately before the list of other ranks which include him

phatton

phatton Report 29 Jan 2011 08:32

Thank you all for the suggestions. I hadn't yet checked for any records as only just discovered the 1861 census for him, he had a tendancy to use middle name of Henry on occasion and Francis (1st name) on others so makes him a tricky customer to find.

I'll be looking at finmypast and ancestry to see what I can find.

Thanks all again