Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Half Sister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 1 Feb 2011 21:33

My partner found out the other week that his father (who died when he was five) had father a daughter to another woman as he had given a court order to his wife to pay mainteneance in the early 1950s how would one go about researching this as i have no idea what her name was or who her mother was

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Feb 2011 21:53

If you know where your partner's father lived at the time you could check at the local archives to see if they have Magistrate Court Records. You could then look to see if the records from the maintenance court hearing names the child.

It was different circumstances for me but I managed to find the court records from when my grandfather left my grandmother and was given an order to pay maintenance for his wife and children. This was in the 1920's, and we were told that you are allowed to see the records as long as they are more than 30 years ago.

Kath. x

Annina

Annina Report 2 Feb 2011 19:01

Hi Patricia, I havn't any useful advice I am afraid,other than what more experienced helpers can come up with.

I would,however, bring a note of encouragement with my similar tale,

Years ago,when I was 21,I found out that I had a half brother who my father had sired,and was born 6 mths before me. Dad would never talk about him,so I have been searching for him for 40 years.

Then,2 years after buying a computer for just this job,I finally found him on Facebook..I was so excited that I didn't think of the potential consequenses,and sent him an e mail straight away.

Poor bloke, he is Belgian and dosn't have much English,or any clue that he had two half sisters and a brother,but after his initial caution,was over the moon. He had been brought up by only his mother,who never had any more offspring.

We are swiftly trying to make up for lost time,and he is coming over to visit with some of his children in summer,I can't wait.

Sorry for rambling,the point is, never give up looking.

Janet

Janet Report 3 Feb 2011 04:34

Love your story Annina,
Don't give up Patricia,