Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death registration in USA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Feb 2011 10:48

I'm having trouble finding out death details of Henry or Harry Ingram, Birmingham England-born 1869/1870 but resident in New Jersey US from 1910. He's listed in US 1930 census, 60 years old, and in the local Bloomfield NJ Directory in 1932 but in 1933 his wife Florence is a 'widow' I've made enquiries with Bloomfield Library but they can find no obituary for him. If he died in another state of USA how could I trace him. Is there a central Registry for BMD as we have over here?

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 2 Feb 2011 11:50

I don't think there is, no. Have you tried the social security indexes? I'll have a poke around and see what might be available.

Kate x

Geoff

Geoff Report 2 Feb 2011 12:12

Thanks for that, I did try the Social security indexes but they don't seem to go back that far (I think official SS only started in 1935?)

mgnv

mgnv Report 2 Feb 2011 15:58

What makes you think there's a central registry for BMD in the UK?
There isn't, of course, and you have to check the individual countries.

This was the model that was exported to the individual colonies in pre-revolutionary days, and retained for renamed colonies (i.e., states) when they became part of the USA. This also applies to Canada, Oz etc.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Feb 2011 18:46

this him?

Henry Ingram

England and Wales Census, 1881
birth: 1869 — Birmingham, Warwick, England
residence: Aston, Warwick, England
parents: Elizabeth Ingram

record title: England and Wales Census, 1881
name: Henry Ingram
birth year: 1869
birthplace: Birmingham, Warwick, England