Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial before Registration?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 17 Feb 2011 13:42

My husband's second great-grandather died on 27 May 1849 in the West London Workhouse. On the death certificate the informant was the Coroner and the death was registered on 5 June. According to burial records he was buried on 1 June. Does anyone know, please if the body could have been released for burial after the Coroner's findings but before the death was registered? (I've googled for an answer, without success).

Brenda

Brenda Report 17 Feb 2011 14:25

Thanks for replying PigletsPal.

It's definitely the lst June. Sadly there were so many burials of people from the Workhouse which makes me wonder if the Workhouse /Coroners passed them to undertakers as quickly as possible.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Feb 2011 14:32

I take it he died before the 1st June and was just registered on the 5th?

If so then I would say it was possible for it to have been registered after the burial on the 1st.

The coroner may have been a bit tardy in making the registration after delivering his conclusions but the workhouse or wherever wouldn't want a body hanging about for too long.

Chris

Brenda

Brenda Report 17 Feb 2011 14:43

That's what I thought, Chris. Thanks.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Feb 2011 14:45

The coroner would have issued an authorization for burial at the same time and Workhouse would have been anxious to get the burial done .As long as there was an authorization for it then the actual death reg wasnt necessary.

When our MUM passed in 1980 an authorization was also given by the coroner and the death cert wasnt done at the same time. We did have it in time for the funeral but the undertakers went ahead with the arrangements in the beginning without the death cert .

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Feb 2011 14:52

Thinking about it...Wasn't it until about 1926?? that there was the requirement that a registrar's certificate or coroner's order be produced before a burial could take place?

Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Feb 2011 14:56

Sorry my last post doesn't read too well...

What I was trying to say is that in 1926?? the requirement was introduced that...ect

Chris

Brenda

Brenda Report 17 Feb 2011 15:38

Thanks everyone. It's hard to imagine what went on in 1849!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Feb 2011 20:53

I think that sometimes burial can be authorised some time before a death is registered.
If an inquest is necessary, only then will cause of death be recorded on a certificate. The inquest could be some months after death, or even years as in recent inquiries in the news.

Gwyn

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 17 Feb 2011 23:21

A burial can take place before a death certificate is issued. A certificate of burial is required. My partners sister was buried 8 days after her death but because an inquest was required her death certificate was not issued until a year later.