Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 19 Feb 2011 15:39

Hi there,
I am trying to purchase a birth certificate from the GRO for a birth that was registered in 1992. I have the reference code but the site is also requesting the date of birth, does anyone know a way round this?
I have no way of finding out the actual date.
Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Chevaun.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Feb 2011 15:43

Its bcause of the 50 year data protection you need the extra info Dont think you can order online Try ringing them to explain why you want the cert

Flick

Flick Report 19 Feb 2011 15:46

You cannot order a cert fora birth during the last 50 years without knowing the exact DOB

Frankly, I hope that they won't even supply the cert if you phone...........otherwise it makes a mockery of the ruling.

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 19 Feb 2011 15:59

Thanks Shirley/Flick, I didn't realise that I was doing something wrong, I had no idea about the 50 year rule so am well informed now!
Is this in case of things like identity theft?

Denis

Denis Report 19 Feb 2011 17:04

That may be the case in England and Wales but not in Scotland. Using the free search facility on Scotlandspeople I am quickly taken to the point where I can then order up official extracts of both my daughters' entries (1981 and1983) for the usual payment.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Feb 2011 17:10

Yes I think it is to avoid identity theft.

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 19 Feb 2011 18:28

Denis, is that without entering your daughters' DOB?
Seems strange that the rules differ from place to place...

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Feb 2011 07:02

The 50 year rule only applies to internet ordering. It is there to prevent misuse, but is not actually anything to do with data protection, which does not apply to records in the public domain.

Both the GRO and local Register Office are legally bound to supply a certificate provided you can give sufficient information for them to identify the correct one. This does not necessarily have to include the actual date of the event.

Denis

Denis Report 20 Feb 2011 10:01

Chevaun - yes, that's without entering the DOB. Obviously there's more of a problem if you have a common combination of forename and surname. The difference between procedures in England/Wales and Scotland, which are often historical, is compounded by the fact that in Scotland GROS provides online access to official BMD records, with various caveats, whereas GRO does not (or not yet, if ever). I think the general intention with GRO is to make it more difficult to obtain recent information so as to give those intent on identity theft more hurdles to jump over so to speak. However, BMD information is a matter of public record and can be accessed if you persist. I'm sure there must be something out there that could clarify all of this but I just haven't come across it yet.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Feb 2011 11:23

Found this on the GRO website. It seems that the workaround is to order without quoting the GRO Reference, then you can get away without quoting the exact date of the event. You will still have to provide such information as the parents full names and the place of birth.

"If you do not have the GRO index reference you may still apply online for any event which took place on or after 1st September 1837 to 6 months from the current date (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months). A 3 year search for the index reference will be carried out. You must supply the exact date of event if you have it. If you don't have the exact date enter 01/01/YEAR and we will search the specified year and one year either side"

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 20 Feb 2011 11:57

Oh Thank you ever so much InspectorGreenPen, that information is really helpful and certainly clarifies the situation for me.

I thought I must have been doing something wrong after posting up this thread and recieving one of the responses yesterday so this info makes me feel a lot better and a lot more hopeful with regards to clarifying paternity on the said birth certificate so I know whether to add my sons potential half sister (who we've lost contact with) to our family tree.

Thank you also Denis for taking the time to post and reply, I would have probably just left the situation as it was if it hadn't been for your response yesterday.

I hope all of this makes sense, I'm still finding my feet on this site and am learning something new everyday!