Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

obtaining info from workkhouses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 28 Feb 2011 18:55

Hi
I am new to this site so firstly hello to everyone.

My grandfather was traceable in the 1911 cencus but sadly his place of birth was unknown, I do beleive it was more than likely to have been in and around the area of Sussex. I can fibd no record of his birth and I have searched high and low using different spellings etc. My aunts do not know very much as they just did not talk about things like this. I obtained his marrage cert and he had listed the name of his father but his name is quiet common and it may not have been his father. Is there any way of obtaining detials of his registration into the workhouse? surly a signature would have been obtained. I live in hope that I will be able to unravell this.

Regards
Janet

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Feb 2011 19:06

Janet, if you want to give what details you have folks on here will be happy to have a look for you.

The National archives has info re. workhouses:

ttp://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/workhouse.asp

You can google search for the workhouse and see what turns up.

And look for a local history forum for the area, local people can be a goldmine for info like this.

Jan

Arlene

Arlene Report 28 Feb 2011 19:11

hi there janet,
could you please add a little more info on your grandfather, name, d.o.b/death, place of work (name), any siblings,parents names, if possible.

regards
arlene

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2011 19:22

Having looked at original workhouse records at our local Records Office they only show the names age and when entered and for children will show abandoned or orphaned etc . Doesn't show parents names or any personal details .
The sheets seem to be standard spreadsheet types and would imagine they are typical for workhouse records.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2011 19:24

Have looked at Medway Area of Kent and South East London ones too for the 1880.s and 1909 and they are pretty standard format

Janet

Janet Report 28 Feb 2011 19:45

brummiejan Thank you I will check out the recomended site

Arlene Hi yes my grandfather was Douglas Morton Humphreys. DOB 1902 about. Cencus show entry as Douglas Moreton Humphrey also sibling Dorothy Ruby Humphrey (Humphreys) DOB about 1906 the workhouse was in Horsham Sussex.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it hi yes I think you my be right they are standard its will be sad not to be able to go back any further.

Thanks guys for your help
Janet

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2011 20:39

Name: Dorothy Ruby Humphrey
Year of Registration: 1905
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Croydon
County: Greater London, Kent, Surrey
Volume: 2a
Page: 250

Arlene

Arlene Report 28 Feb 2011 20:42

do you know when your grandfather died and who his parents were janet?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2011 20:45

the 1911 census shows Dorothy as 5 and Douglas as 6 so he was born later than 1902

Arlene

Arlene Report 28 Feb 2011 20:49

there is a douglas morton humphreys death listed on ancestry (london 1977) this will probably give both parents names. unfortunately i have not renewed my subscription with them at the moment but, someone may be willing to look this up for you :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Feb 2011 21:02

Why would his parents be listed on the death cert Arlene?

Name: Douglas Morton Humphreys
Birth Date: Jul 1902
Death Registration Month/Year: 1977
Registration district: Westminster
Inferred County: London
Volume: 15
Page: 1948

Janet

Janet Report 28 Feb 2011 21:04

Hi Arlene The death record is the correct one and my sister may have a copy of his cert. I am sure there arre no details of parents on there. I think I will never find out what really happend when granddad was young.

Hi shirley Yes the cencus record you have looked at is the correct one.

Janet

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Feb 2011 21:24

This person is in workhouse too - I wonder if she is connected to them?:

HAMPHREY, Ann Inmate Married F 74 1837 Sussex West Dean

Registration District:
Horsham Sub District:
North Horsham Enumeration District:
27 Parish:
Horsham

Address:
78 Crawley Road Horsham County:
Sussex

Arlene

Arlene Report 28 Feb 2011 21:33

sorry to mislead you janet, the parents arent likely to be named on the death certificate unless, they have been named as informants which in your case would be highly unlikely as your grandfather would have been a good age when he passed.
kids arguing and fighting were disrupting my train of thought.

Arlene

Arlene Report 28 Feb 2011 22:07

searching the trees on GR, there are 4 people listing a douglas humphrey, they have given the D.O.B as 1903 but, this may only be an estimate. 3 have listed him as Horsham, the other one sussex, might be worth getting in touch, this could be a match and they may be able to help you obtain something extra.