Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death in Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 1 Mar 2011 15:06

I have been asked by my husband's cousin to try and find the death certificate and cause of death of his father in Sidney, Australia.

His name was Edward James Griffiths, born about1923 or thereabouts in Caernarfonshire, Wales (I think Llanfairfechan but not quite sure). He married my cousin's mother in 1946 at Bangor, North Wales, but left shortly afterwards as he was in the Merchant Navy. He never came back to his wife but "jumped ship" in Australia and was not heard of again.

We have since heard from various sources that he died in Sidney, Australia in 1973, but no-one has had a death certificate or anything.

Any ideas of how to find his death certificate would be very helpful. Also my cousin would like to find out more about his father's career in the Merchant Navy (ships that he was on etc.)

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 1 Mar 2011 15:40

Give this site a go:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Mar 2011 16:03

Could this be what was found?

Surname Given Names Notice Type Date Type Age Other Details Publication Published
GRIFFITHS Edward James Death notice 08SEP1973 Death Sydney Morning Herald 15SEP1973

From ryersonindex.net

Ann

Ann Report 1 Mar 2011 18:30

Thanks for this DetEcTive. It does seem to look like what I'm looking for.

Do you have any idea if it's possible to actually see the image from the newspaper, and if so how do I go about it.

Valerie

Valerie Report 1 Mar 2011 22:57

Hi Ann ...the NSW/BMD is on-line ...it shows: Edward James Griffiths d 1973 (Reg No 5095/1973). (parents Edward James & Maggie).

You may like to use 'Joy Murrin's Transcription Services' (on-line) ...she will transcribe the cert for $18 .... it should show all the details.

Valerie (WAus)

Gai

Gai Report 2 Mar 2011 03:51

Unfortunately there a a couple of Edward James Griffiths on the electoral roll so without know whereabouts he lived finding which one is him could be difficult.

Valerie

Valerie Report 2 Mar 2011 05:27

Hi Gai .........I noticed there were 2 .... the other one died in 1980 ...so hopefully our 'right' one will be found 'missing' after Septembr 1973.

Valerie (WAus)

MEgirl

MEgirl Report 2 Mar 2011 05:41

Edward James Griffiths was cremated 17.9.1973 aged 47 years, ashes taken, at the Eastern Suburbs Crematorium - www.esmp.net.au/search--map-facility/crematorium-search.aspx

This would fit with the Ryerson Index entry for death of 8.9.1973. Ryerson Index has a request form on the home page and will do a look-up for you for the death notice in The Sydney Morning Herald published 15.9.1973, if you have exhausted all other avenues - ryersonindex.net

MEgirl

MEgirl Report 2 Mar 2011 09:12

With regard to Merchant Navy service you might try The National Archives at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/research-guides/merchant-seamen-sea-service-1913-1972.htm#21046