Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Clarification of 'Spinster'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Loopin

Loopin Report 3 Mar 2011 10:11

Hello,
In my 'wisdom' I have assumed that 'Spinster' being recorded on a Marraige certificate meant the Lady had not married before.

I have just watched a programe and Spinster could also mean the Lady could have been a widow or divorced?.
Is anyone able to confirm this for me?

Thank you

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 3 Mar 2011 10:23

The conventional definition of a spinster is indeed a woman who has reached marriageable age but as not yet married.

On a marriage certificate the marital status of a lady who has been previously married but has been widowed or divorced is normally described as a widow or divorcee.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Mar 2011 10:28

Spinster does indeed mean that the lady has not been married before.

However in the past when divorce was not easy to come by women whose husband had left them would call themselves "Spinster" so that they could get "married" again without having to produce divorce documents.

Sometimes if a lady was widowed she might not want her newe husband to know that she had been married before and would therefore use her maiden name and just say she was a spinster.

People very often told lies and nothing on a certificate can be taken as gospel.

I assume you have been watching "Heir Hunters" on BBC.

Kath. x

Janet

Janet Report 3 Mar 2011 10:29

My gtx2 grandfather described himself as a bachelor on his marriage certificate in 1841 when in fact he was a widower with 3 children , so I would say that it is quite possible that a woman could describe herself as a spinster, but as Jonesey says it is not the conventional definition.-jl

Edit - I think it must be remembered that people quite genuinely misunderstand words and if someone mistakenly thought all their life, that the word 'spinster' meant unmarried woman why wouldn't they use it.

Loopin

Loopin Report 3 Mar 2011 10:36

Thank you, that is what I thought... I was watching Heir Hunters this morning and the other definition was mentioned.. I could have miss heard.
I have a Great Grandmother who married in 1923 aged 37 to a widower. I thought this was quite an age for a first marriage, she had a daughter born 1906 there wasn't a Fathers name on her Birth cert..so I am wondering now if my Great grandmother was married before 1923?!

Regards
sue

Loopin

Loopin Report 3 Mar 2011 10:47

Yes I was watching Heir Hunters! Thank you for everyones reply.

Can anyone suggest how I would look for a marriage for my Great Grandmother before 1923? or should I just leave it? no-one in the family is aware.
On my Nans marriage cert there is a Fathers name but not on her Birth cert., but I think she was underage when she married and lied as I have been told wasn't uncommon.
It was also said that some people were named as 'Father' so a marriage could be repectful or whatever.

Thanks again for your replies
Sue

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 3 Mar 2011 11:00

WW1 caused quite a disruption. Many a female who might have been expected to marry under normal circumstances were unable to do so due to the absence or death of their intended. The disruption carried on well beyond the cessation of hostilities in 1918. The ratio of unmarried or widowed women to available men was distorted resulting in many women marrying later in their lives than was previously the norm.

Regarding the naming of a "Fictitious" father on marriage certificates, that seems to have been quite a common occurrence amongst those born illegitimately or wanting to marry without their fathers permission.

Loopin

Loopin Report 3 Mar 2011 11:14

Thank you again, i think I will leave searching for my Nans father.
As you have cleary made me aware by what you have written how life was for many people in those times

xx

wisechild

wisechild Report 3 Mar 2011 14:32

I saw Heir Hunters as well and I was very surprised to hear it said quite clearly that as a widow or a divorced woman she was entitled to describe herself as a spinster.
I really like this programme, but can never understand why, when they know the name of a spouse & are seeking the person´s parents, they don´t get a copy of the marriage certificate & thus the father´s name & occupation.
I know people didn´t always tell the truth, but surely it would be better than stabbing in the dark
Marion

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2011 06:50

I think Heir Hunters was wrong on this one!

Loopin

Loopin Report 8 Mar 2011 19:28

I'm glad some one else heard the Heir Hunterss comment regarding 'spinster'
Thank you for all the help.

Julie

Julie Report 9 Mar 2011 13:48

Hi Susan

Yes i heard it too......One of my greats on her M/C states she was a Spinster it turned out that she was married before & he 1st husband had passed away when she married her 2nd husband

Loopin

Loopin Report 11 Mar 2011 17:39

Mind boggling isn't it! My only thought was My Great Granmother did use her maiden name on her marriage cert would she have used that if she had been married before?

Sue

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 11 Mar 2011 20:41

She might have used her maiden name even if she had been married before - anything's possible!! But the usual form is to put the (previous) married name, and in some cases you see the (previous) married name followed by the maiden name using 'nee' or 'formerly' .

K

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Mar 2011 00:59

My great grandmother was always known (on the birth certs of her 9 children as Mrs P).
However, she and Mr P didn't actually marry until a few months before my gran married (aged 21), and just before the birth of their 10th child.
He was(according to the marriage certificate), a bachelor - but only if we igonre his first wife, who died a few months before he and my great grandmother married!!