Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on companies- charts/books from genes trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 4 Mar 2011 11:10

I am wanting to get a hard paper copy of my tree which I currently hold on genes -I am prepared to pay for this -was just wanting some advice from those that may already have done this. Thanks Joanna

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Mar 2011 11:23

When you say hard paper copy, what exactly are you looking for? If you want something special for a presentation, family reunion etc you could do no better than look at Genealogy Printers website

http://www.genealogyprinters.com/catalog/index.php

On the other hand if you want to create various reports, charts etc on an ongoing basis, why not invest in a genealogy program such as Family Tree Maker (FTM) - these can be had for around £20.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Mar 2011 11:29

Are you saying that the only copy of your tree is on Genes? A very unwise thing to do, in my opinion. You really should have a family tree program on your home computer and with back-up on cd or memory stick.

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 4 Mar 2011 11:30

Well whenever I have tried to move my genes tree into a family tree maker it always seems to corrupt/ error etc, then I end up having to go through it all again trying to correct things etc.

I have been doing my tree for 5/6 years now and of course, it will never be complete, but I do have a lot of information and it would be nice to be able to take it to show family members who do not have a computer etc. Will have a look at the genealogy printers thanks

Joanna

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 4 Mar 2011 11:31

Well I do hold a copy of the gedcom file on my email account/ and as I say have lots of other copies -but frustrated that they have errors

Joanna

dancingqueen

dancingqueen Report 4 Mar 2011 11:32

Keep meaning to get memory stick to back up -will get on and order it

Joanna