Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Zealand Births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Boaksie

Boaksie Report 5 Mar 2011 23:51

Hi all

can anyone tell me if there is a way of searching NZ births that are not 100 years old?

I am trying to find info for my husband of an aunt who has popped up. Her name is Margaret Agnes Meldon. She has a sister- Constance who was born in UK in 1920 and a brother Eric who was born in NZ in 1930.

So I am not even sure if Margaret is older or younger and where she was born!! I cant find her on UK births though so am guessing NZ?

thanks for any help
Amanda

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 6 Mar 2011 03:27

A Margaret Agnes Meldon married John Crawford York in 1955 in New Zealand

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 6 Mar 2011 03:33

Like all gummints - the bureocracy increases. We too have a "Department of silly rules"
You'd need an igovt ID, but you have to be a NZ citizen to get one, and turn up in person with all your documents. Even I can't get one.
However, I'll have a troll through the fiche when I'm in the library next (maybe March 20 ish) unless anyone can do better
B

Persephone

Persephone Report 6 Mar 2011 04:59

Amanda this is from the white pages

York J C

1 O'Connor Pl Russley Christchurch 8053
Phone 03-357 2577

I could go and check the Christchurch Electoral rolls for Magaret Agnes York, when I next go into the city. The Librarians here are fairly helpful you could go on line (would not try the Christchurch Library as not sure of the state of the building) and ask at Auckland Library. www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/

Or you could ring this chap on the off chance?

Let us know how you get on. If I can be of more help I will try to do so.
There are sneaky ways around some of the "beauro-crazy"

Cheers Persie

Boaksie

Boaksie Report 9 Mar 2011 08:04

thanks for those ideas- I just cant believe how hard it is to find info here- there's not even census records to go by!

I would appreciate any leads you manage to find- and I might try ringing that number in the weekend.

Thanks again
Amanda

Persephone

Persephone Report 13 Mar 2011 08:25

I couldn't find a John Crawford York in the electoral rolls - but the library closed before I could finish looking. (I had a long list of requests)

On the microfiche I found Eric's birth in 1931 - but that could still mean 1930 in December - as the 1931 was when he was registered and office would have been closed over Christmas period. Margaret Agnes Meldon was born 1932. (you only get the year no dates - won't know those until either 2032 or 2012 at the earliest if she has died prior to 2012.

Persie

Boaksie

Boaksie Report 6 Apr 2011 09:35

Thanks for your help. My husband rang the number but no connection. It is frustrating!

Amanda

Boaksie

Boaksie Report 10 Apr 2011 02:40

I have also searched the electoral rolls online and cant find them. I think I can assume that they went off shore.

My husbands father passed away when he (my husband) was only 9, so was just trying to find some living relatives that may be able to fill in some gaps about how his fathers early life was etc.

Thanks for trying
Amanda

Fairways3

Fairways3 Report 10 Apr 2011 08:10

NZ BMD's are online here

http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/Home

You will get access to Births over 100 years
Marriages over 80 years
Deaths regd 50 years ago or
where the individual was born over 80 years ago.

For more recent BDM events you have to have an ID thingey whatever it is.

I live in Aust and have had no trouble getting death certificates for my mothers brothers and sisters and for my father's aunts and uncles ,some even quite recent deaths because the deceased were over eighty years old when they died..

If I were you I would start looking through the Death and Marriage Indexes
.You can type in your names and search in blocks of up to ten years at a time and print it out to look at later. .

NZ printouts of Certs. are a mine of information.

They have addresses, ages , occupations, names of parents, where and when married and by whom. where and when buried and by whom, religions, names of Informants, Registrars name and length of time in N.Z., everything in fact but how often they wash their neck and what they think will win the Melbourne Cup.
All the deaths I looked up even had birth dates on them. I think that is a recent thing.

Length of time in N.Z. means you can find the name of the ship they arrived in and get a passenger list and perhaps find interesting details of the voyage . That is a separate search in another place.

I even have a second marriage printout of a certificate which gives the name and details of the deceased first wife.

It is worth getting print outs of certificates if you find anything because the exchange rate is so good and the printout is only NZ$20 as against $26 for a certificate which has less information on it.
Certificates are more useful for legal purposes.
Check out the exchange rate at your bank or travel agent.

Printouts are actually a copy of what was written in the register and that is why they have all the useful bits on them. They used to be photocopies but my latest batch I was annoyed to discover are now typed on an expensive looking piece of paper and could have mistakes in them.

Have a shot at getting a copy of the printout even if you think you will be refused. They can only say No and you might just strike someone dopey enough to send it to you. It can be done online with a credit card.

Electoral Rolls are online as well but you need an address before searching those.
Hope this helps.

Sue

Sue Report 18 May 2011 10:48

Hello,

Just found this thread...

i am wondering if anyone can find some births in New Zealand from some of these marriages -

Edward S King married Hannah J Mckie

in 1921 Wanganui, New Zealand

Wilson Mckie married Olive Davey

in 1935 New Zealand

Thompson Mckie married Victoria ?

in c1920s New Zealand

Cheers

John Melling

puddleducky

puddleducky Report 18 May 2011 11:34

nudge for later, might come in handy. Thanks

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 19 May 2011 05:50

Oh dear. NZ did some pretty good things and others that were indescribably terrible.
Mothers are not mentioned in the birth index until about mid 1970's - and then they crossreferenced with their forename of all things - no MMN mentioned. From memory, all Mcs became Macs, just to confuse us further.
I hope that there were not many Mackie families in Wanganui.
With best wishes!
B

Persephone

Persephone Report 19 May 2011 09:04

I have checked the name McKie in the birth registrations - we can only check 100 years ago so I checked to 19/05/1911 there is only one birth after 1900, a great long list before then and none of them are the names mentioned.

I can see Wilson's marriage and Hannah's marriage but there is only a marriage for Thompson Joseph McKie in 1952 to a Winsome Betty Blackwell.

Two deaths for Wilson McKie one died in 1958 aged 60
and the other died in 1941 aged 63. There are no births for either of these two here in NZ.

Persie