Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I send someone my tree?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoff

Geoff Report 6 Mar 2011 23:01

I'm in touch with several relations who are non-Genes Reunited members. They would like either all my tree of 925 names or part of same. I'm not sure they can cope with gedcom files (I'm not that technical myself) so is there some other way to convert a tree or send it as is in legible form? Any help gratefully received. Thanks Geoff

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Mar 2011 06:34

Either you or they need to install a tree program on your computer. One of the most popular programs is Family Tree Maker (FTM) cost around £20 but there are others as well.

Alternatively there is Personal Ancestry File (PAF) available for free from the Family Search web site.

Next step is to export your tree from GR as a gedcom file (gedcom is simply the name of a standardised file format which allows the transfer of genealogical data between different family tree programs)

You then import the gedcom file into your tree program on your PC. Once you have done this you can create genealogy reports or charts which you can send / email to other members of the family. Alternatively if your relations install their own tree program you can send them a copy of the gedcom you get from GR and they can load it themselves and view your tree that way.

Other alternatives are to upload your tree to a site such as Tribal Pages which your relatives could then access directly over the internet.