Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 10 Mar 2011 20:48

Can you be on a census a few times? for instance if you have your name down for living in your house, you then go and visit your friends would they have to add you on the census
Sue?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Mar 2011 20:52

Strictly speaking you should find people on the census of the dwelling they were in on the day it was done, not at their normnal residence. However, it's not unheard of for people to be recorded twice!

Are you thinking of a particular example?

Not sure about the current census but either way you shoould only appear once.

jan

Sidami

Sidami Report 10 Mar 2011 20:59

I was thinking of my self as i would usually visit friends, so I would put myself down then on my census, if I wasn't stopping the night at friends.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 10 Mar 2011 21:06

For this census 2011

As I understand it....

If you are visiting your friends but not stopping over night then you are just recorded at your main residence.

If you do stay at your friends overnight then you still record yourself at your main residence but your friends would record you as a visitor.

The visitor part of the form, your friends would fill in, would give enough info so that when both forms are in the system you are not counted twice.

Chris

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Mar 2011 23:37

I've never heard of a few times, but twice does happen. Look at the following:

Results for: Scotland, British Isles
Father: John Greig, Mother: Margaret Slesser
Exact Spelling: Off

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 7
7. CHRISTIAN GREIG - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 13 APR 1849 Longside, Aberdeen, Scotland

1851 Scotland Census
Parish Number: 218
Civil parish: Longside
Town: Mintlaw
County: Aberdeenshire
Address: South Street
ED: 1
Page: 10
Household schedule number: 52
Roll: CSSCT1851_48

John Greig 32 Fraserburgh, Aberdeens Head Farm Servant
Margaret Greig 23 Longside, Aberdeens Wife
Christian Greig 2 Longside, Aberdeens Daughter
William Greig 6MO Longside, Aberdeens Son

1851 Scotland Census
Parish Number: 218
Civil parish: Longside
County: Aberdeenshire
Address: Hill Of Mintlaw
ED: 1
Page: 21
Household schedule number: 100
Page: 20-21
Roll: CSSCT1851_48

William Slessor 66 Longside, Abdns Head Farmer Of 15 Acres & Carrior
Christian Slessor 52 Old Deer, Abdns Wife
Mary Slessor 26 Longside, Abdns Daughter
John D Slessor 17 Longside, Aberdeens Son Farmer & Carrier's Son
Christian Greig 2 Longside, Aberdeens Grandaughter
Ann Mitchell 53 Longside, Aberdeens Outdoor Work

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Mar 2011 07:27

Current census yes, as described above, earlier censuses, officially no, only the place where you were on the night in question. However, not sure exactly when the change in rule was introduced.

In 1861 my ggg grandmother was recorded twice. Once at home and again at the shop were we think she worked a few hundred yards or so up the road. We have other examples in our tree too.

Not come across more than twice, though, but there is always a first time.

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 11 Mar 2011 11:02

I was having this same conversation with my daughter the other day (when our 2011 census form arrived).

My daughter often sleeps over at her boyfriends house. I said she should be on his census, giving her (usual address) if she stays over on the night of the census that is.

She then asked about people in hospital. Do they have to be on a census for the hospital? or their home addres?

I couldn't answer that one, perhaps someone could enlighten me?
Dee

Potty

Potty Report 11 Mar 2011 11:22

I have found a sailor mentioned 3 times in one census. He is listed on two ships and at home but on both the ships, "Not on board" was written across the top.

What would we do if we were wild camping in our motorhome and what about campsites?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Mar 2011 13:32

My grtx3 grandmother was a monthly nurse and is listed in 1871 at the home of the family where she was attending the mother as well as her usual family address. goodness knows which house she was actually at.