Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deciphering Old Wills!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sharonlondon

sharonlondon Report 16 Mar 2011 23:13

I have downloaded 2 Ancestors Wills dated 1782 & 1810 from The National Archives.
Can read some words but there are large chunks that I cannot decipher!!
Any ideas of who I could contact (what are people that can decipher old wills called?!) & what do you think the cost would be?
It's a bit like having your favourite sweet in your hand but you can't get get the wrapper off!!!!
Many thanks for replying (if of course someone does!!)

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 16 Mar 2011 23:53

Will PM you

Peter

Kense

Kense Report 17 Mar 2011 08:21

If you find phrases and pertinent words that you can read, then google those (eg "I bequeath unto" farms tenements) you will find examples of transcribed wills which may contain words that you are unfamiliar with (such as messuages and hereditaments) and whole phrases that are common to wills of that time.

Sidami

Sidami Report 17 Mar 2011 21:58

I have just gone on this web site but how do i look for a will?

Sidami

Sidami Report 17 Mar 2011 21:58

I have just gone on this web site but how do i look for a will?

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 17 Mar 2011 22:37

There are a couple of online courses that may help

http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/ceres/ehoc/index.html
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/

Cheers,
Mark.