Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral Roll

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Mar 2011 15:21

Trying to find occupants of 11 Riley Street, Chelsea in 1919. Thanks to all for help in finding Hope Cottage occupants in this year, a great help, and original thread posted on this board yesterday deleted in error. Von suggested an electoral roll search would find required information, but have not done this before. All help and advice received really thoroughly appreciated.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Mar 2011 15:33

Not available online unfortunately. You will need to visit the archives centre (normally the nearest main library) or ask staff if they will do a lookup.
Remember - basically men over 21 and women over 30 only at this time (and that only became general in 1919 so be aware of that).
Jan

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Mar 2011 15:59

Thanks, Jan. Could be a problem as I don't live in England, but will contact and see if they can help. Also, as I am seeking information about who would be caring for a juvenile within the household ( or possibly 2 juvenilles ), the children's details would not be available, although hopefully the adult carer would be. It is particularly early ( January ) 1919 that I am interested in, so would you know when in 1919 the electoral roll started ? Thanks again for your help

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Mar 2011 16:10

I can only speak for Birmingham, though I assume it is the same everywhere. There are 2 electoral registers, Spring and Autumn. Not sure about dates! Unlikely to be as early as January though.

Electoral registers do exist before 1919 and the majority of men are on there so might be worth checking out.

Jan

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Mar 2011 16:58

Thanks again Jan - will give it a go !