Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Black marble headstone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Haribo

Haribo Report 21 Mar 2011 22:49

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible for the wording on a headstone to be erased and started again? The black marble headstone with gold writing is 10 years old, The family would like to rewrite the whole stone. Many Thanks

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Mar 2011 22:56

I think you may be better to address your question to a monumental stonemason, at least you'll get an experienced reply.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Mar 2011 23:00

As MarieCeleste has suggested you would probably be better asking a professional, although I would think it would probably be just as expensive as buying a new headstone.

Kath. x

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 21 Mar 2011 23:20

I asked a mason once what happened if he made a spelling mistake, he said he would have to shave the surface and start again, so yes I believe it is possible.

Maybe they could remove and fill the lettering and turn the stone round ?

Haribo

Haribo Report 22 Mar 2011 09:03

Thanks for your replies/suggestions, much appriciated.

K

K Report 22 Mar 2011 12:59

You may also need the permission of the authority that runs the churchyard/cemetery if the wording differs from that already approved.

I used to be on a burial committee that ran the local cemetery and we approved the wording of all memorials