Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ww1 recall????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 3 Apr 2011 08:53

if someone was discharged from the army in 1914 (army record on another site), could they then be called up later????
i have a ARTHUR WORRALL from HUCKNALL NOTTINGHAM who from his army record states he was discharged in 1914, next of kin right, but have been informed by a local site that he died in 1917, and his story and picture was in the dispatch hucknall paper, right address stated,
dose this sound right?????

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Apr 2011 09:05

Do you know his date of birth? Perhaps he volunteered early in the first world war when he was under age and was therefore discharged when he was found out. He could then have re-enlisted when he was old enough.

Kath. x

Carol

Carol Report 3 Apr 2011 09:12

Hiya Clair
I have a family member who joined up in 1914 was discharged in June of 1915 and was back in by October of 1915 he then got killed on the 1st July 1916.
Regards Carol

Claire

Claire Report 3 Apr 2011 09:21

hi
he was born in 1879, tried to join in 1914,but only lasted a few wks, but cant make out the writing to see why, not sure when he relisted butwas killed in 1917

20626 Pte. Arthur Worrall, 2nd Leicesters, was killed in action on 23rd April 1917 aged 38. His body was not identified and he is, therefore, commemorated on the Basra Memorial in Iraq. Originally from Warwickshire, he lived at 50 Bentinck Street, Hucknall
from the dispatch newspaper

thank you for taking the time to help

Carol

Carol Report 3 Apr 2011 10:40

Hiya Clair
If I have the right Arthur Worrall it says Discharged as not likely to become an effcient soldier.This is a different service number 13126 this would have been the 1st time he joined he would have been given the other number when he joined the 2nd time. Was he a widower,I can't quite make out the address ? Lane Whitwell.
Carol

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 3 Apr 2011 10:50

Claire,

Do you know whether he was using his full correct name when he died? The reason that I ask is because there does not appear to be an Arthur Worrall shown as being commemorated on the Basra Memorial on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. (www.cwgc.org)

Claire

Claire Report 4 Apr 2011 12:38

hi
all i have are the details above, i have only just started to look into arthur worrall, so have not had much chance to check everything out, as far as i know, he has no middle name.
its just confusing as both have details of family/address that match, but like you said there is no record on cwgc site
brickwalls brickwalls, oh well there there to be knocked down, so wheres my hammer

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Apr 2011 12:57

All I can see is this, same regimental number, but he's not listed as killed in the war.

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
about Arthur Worrall Name: Arthur Worrall
Regiment or Corps: Leicestershire Regiment
Regimental Number: 20626

He received the Victory medal and the Britian medal.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Apr 2011 13:01

Oh yes, here he is with name spelled wrong:

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
about Arthur Warrall Name: Arthur Warrall
Birth Place: Warsgrave, Warwick
Residence: Whitwick, Leics
Death Date: 23 Apr 1917
Death Location: Mesopotamia
Enlistment Location: Wigston, Leics
Regiment: Leicestershire Regiment
Battalion: 2nd Battalion