Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bigamy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 17 Apr 2011 17:55

I have a couple who married twice. The first marriage was when the "brides" husband was still alive, the second ceremony was four year's after his death.

I was surprised that these two marriages took place in the same city, possibly the same Registry Office without any queries. It was not where the husband was living.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Apr 2011 17:58

If the bride didn't tell the registrar that she was married then he wouldn't know anything about it and the first marriage would just go ahead as normal. She possibly then decided that when her "real" first husband died she might as well become "legal". You would only know whether the two marriages took place in the same place if you bought the certificates.

Kath. x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Apr 2011 18:03

Not quite sure of the point you are making, but unlike today, when you have to produce various documents, in the past, unless the priest or registrar had suspicions, what you told them was taken as read. Don't forget there were no computers and cross checking records was very time consuming, if not impossible.

Are you saying that bride married second husband whilst first was still alive, and then married second husband again, after hubby No 1 had died? Out of guilt, perhaps?

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 18 Apr 2011 00:05

When did the marriages take place?...The time frame would help give a pointer as to the likely 'thinking' at the time.

It could be that she married 7 years after last contact with her husband. If after 7 years she 'thought' he was deceased, having had no contact and no evidence of his being alive, she could legally declare herself a widow and happily marry as such.

If, at a later date, she found out that he had only died after her 2nd marriage then she may have married again to ensure the 2nd marriage was 'legal'.

Alternatively, before divorce was more common (and cheaper) many people had the 'poor man's divorce' this being where a couple decided to part and didn't raise any objection to either party remarrying. So, as suggested by IGP, she may have remarried out of guilt after the first husband's demise.

Chris

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2011 00:59

You don't say when these marriages took place ....... but I didn't have to provide any proof that I was "single" when I married in 1967

You never did have to do that.

Not sure whether you have to provide "evidence" of your status even now, unless the vicar is suspicious

and in fact, such marriages are relatively common in the 1800s and early 1900s.

Divorce was extremely dificult and expensive until relatively recently ......... ordinary people couldn't afford to do it. The only grounds for many years was adultery ................ and that had to be proved, with hotel receipts, documentation, etc.

If a marriage broke down, the spouses would often go and live common-law, and even "marry" ..... with a legal marriage following when it became possible.

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Apr 2011 09:24

This is from the direct Gov site

Details you need to provide to give notice (of intended marriage)

You will need to provide evidence of a divorce or dissolution if you have previously been married or in a civil partnership

You need to provide the following details :

full name
age - the minimum legal age in England and Wales is 16 years of age, but written consent may be required under 18 years
address
nationality
current status – for example single, divorced
occupation
intended venue for your marriage or civil partnership

You will be asked for documentary evidence for some information, for example your nationality, so it is advisable to take your passport. You will also need evidence of the ending of any previous marriage or civil partnership.

If you are subject to immigration control, you need to produce documentary evidence to confirm that you satisfy the eligibility requirements.

Our local Register Office guidelines are even more specific when it comes to documents of identity:-

Both attend the appointment together (if you both live in this district)

* Provide TWO identity documents for each person: These must be a full birth certificate or current passport (or both), plus a current driving licence or medical card. One of the documents must be a passport or full birth certificate (showing parents’ details) in order to prove your nationality. If you were born after 01 January 1983 and do not have a passport then you will need to provide your full birth certificate as well as the full birth certificates of your mother. Please contact the Register Office for further advice and guidance if in any doubt.

* Provide proof of address (such as a bank statement or utility bill) to confirm that you have been resident in our district for the seven days immediately before the notice appointment.

* Provide proof of divorce (original decree absolute or a certificated copy only from the court) or proof of death of previous spouse (death certificate and marriage certificate) if previously married.

* Provide eligibility to enter into a marriage if necessary (see below).

* Proof of name change, if applicable

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Apr 2011 10:19

The details you need to provide for marriage as given by InspectorGreenPen above are what is required today.

When I married in 1969 I didn't have to give any documentation at all.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Apr 2011 16:51

My son got married in the local church in 1997 and the only documentation the Vicar wanted was proof of residence and his baptism certificate.

Anyway, how do you prove that you are single??

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 18 Apr 2011 19:37

One of my ancestors married in 1877 as a "widow" - her legal husband also remarried. They both lived in the same area.
Liz