Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copying Info from Another Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 19 Apr 2011 00:36

Before you start throwing things at me..........

I would like to copy info from another tree and place it in my tree. I have checked the info, discovered the sources, and verified that it fits into my tree. There are about fifteen names I need to copy. It will take me hours to type in all the details and I will need to keep switching back and forth between the two trees.

This is not a "gathering names" undertaking just me looking to do things faster and easier.

So how does it work if I need part of another tree. I read about people "doing" it all the time but have never seen an explanation. I understand about Gedcom but not how to be selective with the information. I would prefer to copy the info from GR into A but could do it from GR tree to GR tree.

My question is - exactly, how is it done.

Thanks

Gai

Gai Report 19 Apr 2011 02:58

Found this information below under the Help section.

The clipboard allows you to copy and paste names and move them around your tree. If you click on copy then the name of the relation is added to your clipboard.

All you have to do is go to the place in your tree where you wish to add the name and click on 'clipboard' and select the name you wish to copy. You can copy all of the details by ticking the box next to 'clipboard relation'. If you prefer you can tick the boxes of only some of the information you need. You must then click on save at the bottom of the details to add the name to your tree. You can only add up to 20 names at a time.

This is helpful if you have added a branch of your tree in the wrong place and need to move the names to another part of your tree. It allows you to copy the details of the relation you are viewing. You can then paste the details elsewhere in your tree. For example, if you have added a relation as a sister instead of a daughter. You just click on copy in the sister's details, click on Add Child for the correct mother and copy the details over as described above. You can then remove the incorrect entry.

You can also copy and paste names from any of the trees you have access to and add them to your tree. Please remember you must have permission when adding the names of living relations to your tree. Also, if copying names from someone else's tree we do suggest that out of politeness you ask that member's permission to do so first. At the moment it is only possible to copy a maximum of 5 names at a time.

When you view the transcription of a birth or a relative in the census you’ll see the option to add it to your clipboard. You can add the names to the clipboard and then you can go to your tree and paste the details to it. We don’t take all of the details, but you could simply copy and paste them and then add them to your tree in the Notes section for your relative. For example, you might like to add where they were living in each census and their occupation at the time.

To empty your clipboard at any time, click on the down in the top right hand corner of it. You will see it says 'empty clipboard'. Click on this and all the names in your clipboard will be deleted.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 19 Apr 2011 07:25

Hi Gai, Thank you for that information. With hindsight I should have been smart enough to check the Help section. Seems the smart dust never settled on my head today.

I will go practice and see if I can follow instructions. Does not matter if I mess things up there is always the delete button at hand.

Off to try something new. Again, my thanks.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 19 Apr 2011 08:51

I'm practising, I'm practising. Goodness what a mess. So far as I can work out you need to have the person's name in your tree and you can fill in the details of that person by copying the donor trees information.

Clicking on a blank space where you want the person to go and pasting does not seem to be an option. I have printed the selection from the tree and will enter it "long hand".

Am puzzled as to how people manage to accumulate large portions of other trees. Oh well, just goes to show I don't excel at deviousness.

Back to the drawing board I go!!!

Gai

Gai Report 19 Apr 2011 11:51

I'd be happy if the smart dust settled on my head any day of the week. When it comes to researching my family tree my skills leave a lot to be desired.

Gai

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Apr 2011 22:24

I'll throw something at you all right.

Where did you come from, and how long ago???

We pass in the night. I'm off for a week to stay with my mum who has broken her leg. Can I blame you for this somehow? Some kind of Ernest Hill curse ...

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 19 Apr 2011 23:28

Hi Janey, Awwwww and I missed you too!! I messaged you last night, gee whiz mail. I've been back for about a week. Hard going with the nose glued back to the monitor again.

Why are you allowed to have an Ernest Hill and me who should have one can not find him.

We will swap broken leg stories. Relatives with broken legs do not make the best patients. Impatience is a problem and advanced years does not help the healing process.