Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Serg 35 Reg

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuCal

SuCal Report 19 Apr 2011 23:06

I have a William Sillitoe c 1805 born Ireland according to 1841 census where he was living in Royal Marine Gun Wharf Barracks portsmouth. On his first daughters birth cert in 1840 his occupation Serg 35 Reg. His second child Mary appears to have been born in Ireland 1842 but I have been unable to find details . I have copy marriage bond 1834 but unfortunately no parents given - he was 21 his wife 19 (parents both dead). By 1851 his WIDOW had returned to home turf Front Garrison Hotel Barracks Gate Burnley. I have tried millitary records , overseas deaths etc on various sites but no joy - any ideas welcome!

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Apr 2011 23:42

Is it William Sillitoe you want info for, or his children?

Ozi

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Apr 2011 23:58

And this is who you mean?

1841 England Census
Name: William Sittitve
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
Civil parish: Portsmouth Town
Hundred: Portsmouth Borough
County/Island: Hampshire
Street Address: Royal Marine Gun Wharf Barracks

Registration district: Portsea Island
Sub-registration district: Portsmouth Town
Piece: 412
Book: 9
Folio: 3
Page Number: 3
Household Members:
Name Age
William Sittitve 35
Alice Sittitve 25
Elizabeth Sittitve 8 MO

There are plenty of others on the page but I've removed them.

It doesn't record William as being born Ireland. It has 'no' for born in county for both him and his wife. The two people above him have 'I' for Ireland but not him. You know she was born in Burnley. Have you looked for him there?

Ozi

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 Apr 2011 00:06

For example:

IGI Individual Record
William Shillitto
Christening: 05 FEB 1804 Prestwich, Lancashire, England

Parents:
Father: Thomas Shillitto
Mother: Alice Shillitto

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 Apr 2011 00:08

What was his wife, Alice's, maiden name?

Ozi

SuCal

SuCal Report 20 Apr 2011 00:17

Hi thanks for reply- a geneaology site transcript gave me the record you refer to which matches later info I have on wife and daughter. It said both William and Alice born Ireland but she came from Altham Lancs on all later census so I knew that was wrong. I have tried Lancs BMD and on line parish clerk records but no joy for William at all birth or death. His second child Mary was my ancestor and later census always give birthplace Ireland - family folklore suggests Dublin Barracks but I have no record for her birth . First child Elizabeth died Burnley as did Alice the wife and I have history for Mary 2nd child it's William who's a complete mystery. He must have died between 1842 and 1851!

SuCal

SuCal Report 20 Apr 2011 00:23

Alice was Hargreaves on daughters birth cert and in 1851 was l34 born Altham iving with her aunt Mary Hargreaves. Parish records have an Alice Hargreaves christened 118/2/1816 daughter of John Hargreaves and Betty - unfortunately dead by her marriage so no record on a wedding cert to confirm father.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 20 Apr 2011 10:26

Susan

Lancs on line parish clerk shows the marriage At St James Altham
on the 1st |October 1804 of a John Hargreaves and a Betty Westall (which could be Westill , one of the witnesss is a Robert Westill)
there are also baptisms for other children besides Alice listed

Regards
Bren

SuCal

SuCal Report 20 Apr 2011 15:34

Hi Bren
Thanks for reply
I had run off marriage,death and burials fom Lancs on Line Parish and found an Alice Hargreaves born 1816 (which fits) daughter of John and Betty abode Altham. Besides the marriage you mention (both at marriage are "of Clayton") there is another on 8/10/1815 John Hargreaves of Clithero and Betty Haworth of Altham - I thought that might be a possibility as Alice on my tree is always born Altham on census. By 1851 she was living with an aunt Mary Hargreaves age 41 and in 1871 had a Nancy Hargreaves age 47 staying with her I thought to try digging deeper to see if either the John from Clayton or the John from Clitheroe (who married the Betty from Altham) had sisters of that name.I will search 1841 census for Altham and Clitheroe and see if I can find a Mary and Betty Hargreaves maybe together? unfortunately at her marriage Alice did not even have "an appointed protector or guardian" to give me a clue.I have also found an Alice christened 23/7/1815 daughter of Richard Hargreaves and Jinney of Altham . Belatedly looking again at my poor copy of Alice's marriage licence I see she was stated as19 in JANUARY 1834 so maybe the Alice born 1815 is the correct one I may have been barking up the wrong tree and should be looking for Richard and Jinneys deaths pre 1834. Back to OLPC I think!!!

Regards
Susan