Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Identifying the records of dead children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 21 Apr 2011 18:00

Hello

I have the 1911 census of my mother's family. I note that of the 10 children born at that time only 6 were living. There are two obvious gaps of 6 years when no children were born. Is there a way of identifying these children from the records?

Thanks

Vera

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2011 18:15

The only way I know of is to check the relevant area for deaths on Freebmd. You will see ages and be able to tell if they are children. How successful this is depends on the surname and how common it is.
Jan

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 21 Apr 2011 18:22

Thanks Brummiejan. The name's Bruce - lots in the North East at that time.
I suppose it's trial and error and a few dud certs. I will forge on and hope to get my aunts and uncles on my tree.

Vera

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 21 Apr 2011 19:05

Vera,

Have you taken a look at the 1901..........what children are listed there and so on??

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 21 Apr 2011 19:50

Ann

I have them in 1901 with two children and that is the period with one of the 6 year gaps. Unfortnately that census does not identify births/living children.
I have 22 possibles from Free BMD and can whittle them down a bit more
hopefully.

Thanks

Vera

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 21 Apr 2011 19:56

Colin

It's actually Hebburn which then was recorded as Jarrow in the South Shields register office. Not sure if Gateshead was used at that time seem to remember one of my older sisters was registered in Gateshead.

Didn't think of Durham records online. It's a very good site and i have used it before but usually for older records. I'll take a look.

Of course as was usual for that day these thngs were not discussed but then perhaps my mother was not aware either.

Thanks

Vera

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 22 Apr 2011 20:23

Thanks for that PigletsPal. I will follow your system and hope I can whittle it down a bit more. Unfortunately the surname Bruce is common in the area of the children's registration but i guess that is for most families.

I do wonder however if these were stillbirths as I was totally unaware of these children until the 1911 census as my mother never mentioned anything.

Regards

Vera