Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look-up for GH Greene in South Aust Govt Gaz 1858

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

pittsy

pittsy Report 22 Apr 2011 01:22

I would like to find a George Henry Green who I think may have migrated to South Australia in or around 1840. Reading history it states that Australia advertised for Miners to get free transport to assist with the mining in Truro. His daughter Roseanna (wife's name also) was married in 1860 in Truro at just 17 years of age and she married a miner Frederick William Wood.

Can anyone help with this.

Pat
Australia

pittsy

pittsy Report 22 Apr 2011 02:25

The marriage certificate Roseanna states her name as Greene.

Pat

Janet

Janet Report 22 Apr 2011 21:10

HI Pat, my rallies went from Cornwall to SA to in the same period. Where did you find the historical references? I would love to read them. thanks
Also, I found references to my rallies (Polglase) in the local papers in SA (online) at the time - one forgot to collect a letter at the post office etc. so that might be an interesting angle to try.

DavidB0745

DavidB0745 Report 23 Apr 2011 04:15

Hi Pittsy

Your George Henry Green is elusive. The only reference that I have been able to find on him so far in South Australia is as the Father of the bride in Roseanna's marriage (see below):-

Digger - South Australian Marriages, Registrations 1842-1916

Groom: WOOD
Given names: Frederick
Bride: GREENE
Given names: Rose Anna Eliza
Date: 1860-04-09
Groom Age: 21
Groom's Father: William WOOD
Bride Age: 16
Bride's Father: George Henry GREENE
Place: Res of Rev A R Philps Barton nr Truro
District: Ang
Symbol: V
Book/Page: 42/283

As incoming passenger lists into South Australia are very incomplete it is hard to be certain if he did indeed emmigrate here. There is no death recorded for him up to 1915. Also, there doesn't appear to be any births, or deaths recorded for Frederick and Roseanna in the same time period. This could be because they moved onto other States where the mining may have been better.

Sorry that I could't have been of more help.

David
Adelaide
South Australia

Perchino

Perchino Report 23 Apr 2011 17:57

Have you found Charles Henry Green on the 1841 UK Census or did he emigrate before 1841?
There is a wealth of information on history of mining in UK, sometimes with the names of the miners. These sites may help:-

Cornish Mining World Heritage - Home
18 Apr 2011 ... Information on the bid supported by extensive resources covering history, technology, communities, sites, geology and wildlife.

www.cornish-mining.org.uk/ - 15k - Similar

Mining in Cornwall and Devon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mining in Cornwall and Devon began in the early Bronze Age approximately 2150 BC and ended with the South Crofty tin mine in Cornwall closing in 1998. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_Cornwall_and_Devon - 145k - Similar

Poldark Mine :: Cornish Mining :: Ghost Tours :: Mine Tour
31 Mar 2011 ... Cornwall's most visited mining heritage site described as.

www.poldark-mine.co.uk/ - 9k - Similar

Cornwall - Cornish Mines and Mining History in Cornwall
Brief history of copper, tin, china clay, and slate mining in the county.

www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/mines.htm - 13k - Similar
Mining in Cornwall - Cornish Mines and Miners
Mining in Cornwall - Cornish Mines and Miners, sorted by area.

www.cornwallinfocus.co.uk/history/mining.php - 24k - Similar

Geevor Tin Mine, Cornwall
Closed as a working mine in 1990, it is now a preserved mining site and museum managed by Pendeen Community Heritage. Includes history and visitor ...

www.geevor.com/ - 23k - Similar

Cornwall Mining
Our mining culture shaped your world. Home · Celebrating World Heritage · The 10 Sites · Your Opinion · Get in Touch · Links · Cornish Mining World Heritage ...

www.cornishmining.com/ - 3k - Similar

Views of Cornwall England Mining in Cornwall a History with ...
Mining in Cornwall a History with fantastic photos of the tin mining and copper mines and more.

www.viewsofcornwall.com/static/mining_in_cornwall.php - 12k - Similar

Tin Mining in Cornwall
Tin Mining has been carried out in Cornwall since the neolithic, but the majority of the remains one see are from the 19TH century when tin mining was at ...

www.pznow.co.uk/historic1/tin.html - 27k - Similar
Cornwall gold rush: history of 3500 year-old local mining ...
11 Feb 2011 ... South Crofty near Redruth, Cornwall – on the site of the last tin mine to operate in Britain – has discovered valuable deposits of a very ...

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/mining/8... - Similar

pittsy

pittsy Report 23 Apr 2011 23:12

Appreciate David and Perchino's help. I would try all these sites. Mr Greene is a real brick wall. I will try all of these different mining sites and search for him there. I might also find information on William Wood the father of the Groom at the wedding of Roseanna Greene and Frederick Wood at Truro.

I have found this interesting entry at trove

South Australian Register Monday 15 September 1856
LOCAL COURTS
Angaston Thursday September 11
Criminal Jurisdiction
George Henry Green of Morundee - real horse stealing ??

Many thanks

Pat

alviegal

alviegal Report 24 Apr 2011 17:17

Have you got all this information? From
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/10421/20041220-0000/www.firstfamilies2001.net.au/search.html

first families 2001 Details First Family Member Details
Family Stories

First Family Member Details
Surname: WOOD
Given Name(s): Frederick
Occupation(s): Sheep herder

Birth Details
Birth Town: Sydney
Birth County,
Region, Province: N S W
Birth Country: Australia
Birth Date: 1840

Death Details
Death Town: not known
Death State/Territory: N S W ?
Death Country: Australia
Death Date: not known

Surname: GREENE
Given Name(s): Rosa Anna Elyra
Occupation(s): home duties

Birth Details
Birth Town: Adelaide
Birth County,
Region, Province: South Australia
Birth Country: Australia
Birth Date: 1843

Death Details
Death Town: not known
Death State/Territory: N S W ?
Death Country: Australia
Death Date: not known

Immigration Details
Air/Port Landed: Adelaide

Family Stories

Life in Australia:

Rosa and her family were living in or near Truro where her father George Henry Greene was a mail contractor.Frederick Wood came from Sydney and was working on a property nearby.

On the 9th April 1860 they were married in Barton near Truro.

Shortly after they went to Wentworth NSW. In 1865 A daughter,Elizabeth, was born in Wentworth.

In 1882 Elizabeth married John Woods in Pooncarrie, N S W

Descendants

NB: Superscript behind each descendant name represents the lineage number of that descendant.
This family information was last updated by HAROLD KEITH WOODS on the 16 April, 2000.

alviegal

alviegal Report 24 Apr 2011 17:46

These appear to be children born to Frederick and Roseanna.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

5247/1865 WOOD ELIZABETH FREDRICK ROSANNA E WENTWORTH

5109/1867 WOOD HENRY FREDERICK ROSANNA E ALBURY

?? 12539/1870 WOOD ARTHUR FREDERICK ROSINA ELIZA MENINDIE

25699/1879 WOOD CATHERINE EMMA L FREDERICK ROSANNA ELIZA WENTWORTH

??28784/1882 WOOD FANNY FREDERICK ROSE ELIZA WENTWORTH

??32901/1884 WOOD ALBERT G FREDERICK ROSEMIR E WENTWORTH

??35093/1886 WOOD ANNIE R FREDERICK ROSE A E SILVERTON

37465/1888 WOOD WILLIAM H FREDERICK ROSEANNA E WILCANNIA

alviegal

alviegal Report 24 Apr 2011 17:51

Roseanna's death.

Registration Number Last Name Given Name(s) Father's Given Name(s) Mother's Given Name(s) District Purchase Certificate
11938/1906 WOOD ROSEANNA E GEORGE ROSEANNA BREWARRINA Buy Now

pittsy

pittsy Report 30 Apr 2011 07:16

Thanks everyone for your help. I have Roseanna's 1906 death certificate. I would like to search the cemetery records but have had no luck on that. Either her mother's surname was Napier or her husband Fred's mother's line will be Napier as it appears in daughter Rose's name which I think would indicate it was on her mother Roseanna's line. Still a tough one though. Will try search Napier I think as I have failed everywhere else.

Thanks

Pittsy

pittsy

pittsy Report 30 Apr 2011 07:20

Regarding the first families information - It says Roseanna was born in Adelaide Australia but also says immigration landed Adelaide ?

I am getting confused.

Pittsy

Christine

Christine Report 30 Apr 2011 20:05

Some of mine also emigrated to Australia from the Truro (Cornwall) area, but no evidence that they were miners. They were apparently given a sum of money with which to build a house, and my g.g.grand-uncle built a house in Adelaide, so I would think that this must be close to where they landed. However after a couple of years he moved on and founded the town of Scotts Creek * - east of Adelaide, so they couldn't have been tied to any industry they went there for. I had the impression that it was an emigration for general settlement.

* you can find this on Google - his name was Walter Rowe Hill.

pittsy

pittsy Report 12 May 2011 07:23

Still trying to find my brick wall Greene family. I know Roseanna Greene was born 1843 - her MC states she was sixteen and born South Australia. I have never been able to find her birth. I have her MC and DC. She died in NSW and was buried at Brewarrena (CofE) Cemetery NSW on 6 Nov 1906. Her parents were George Henry Greene and Roseanna ? She married Frederick Wood/Woods 9/4/1860 at Barton Near Truro SA. I have been for years trying to find out more about her berth and her parents. George Green was named as a solicitor - but I don't believe this is true. I have found several references at Trove for a George Greene in SA but cannot make a match. Appreciate any help or any ideas of where to look now. Thanks Pittsy :-)

pittsy

pittsy Report 13 May 2011 06:24

I found a birth and death of a Mary Ann Greene B1840 Died 11/4/1841 Adelaide and buried West Cemetery (name change to Maryanne). Would love to know the name of father or mother or any birth record. I have tried searching Trove but no luck.

How can I change the subject heading for this post please ?

Any help appreciated.

Pittsy :-)

pittsy

pittsy Report 8 Jun 2011 04:20

Can anyone please look up G H Greene in the South Australian Government Gazette 1858 - he is on 2 pages

Greene, G. H., Poundkeeper ..... ................ 450
Poundkeepers resigned-
231 Moorundee, G. H. Greene .................... 460

Much appreciated.

Pittsy

Lynski

Lynski Report 8 Jun 2011 04:46

You can change the subject heading by clicking on the Edit button at the top of the thread (in the box next to your name).

pittsy

pittsy Report 8 Jun 2011 10:30

Thanks Lynski - I have done that. I am trying to determine if this G H Greene Poundkeeper at Moorundie South Australia is the same as the George Henry Green I am looking for. At trove he is in the area at exactly the right time to be father of bride Rose Green.

Thanks

Pittsy