Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please,how to search Scottish opr's completed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 30 Apr 2011 13:07

Hi,
Could someone please give me some advice.
I have located the baptism of a set of twins on the IGI
But have already wasted some credits looking for them on SP.
The mothers name is not recorded on other sibs opr's so am hoping to make a link to the maternal side through witness's to all the baps that I have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and also for any advice which may be given

Blue

Is there a way I should be searching please,I have nine credits left.

the baps in question are

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download | Print

WILLM. URQUHART Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
10 JUL 1759 Fraserburgh, Aberdeen, Scotland
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: JAS. URQUHART Family

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download | Print

WILLM. URQUHART Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
10 JUL 1759 Fraserburgh, Aberdeen, Scotland
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: JAS. URQUHART Family

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Apr 2011 15:35

well Scottish records didnt start til 1855 so before then you need Parish records that are also on Scotlands People..
If you cant find them then you need to search at the Edinburgh Records Office,. Not every record is online.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 30 Apr 2011 16:48

Thanks Shirley,
It is OPR's that I can't find. I had no idea that Scotlands people haven't got all of the OPR's.I'll stop wasting my credits and hope that someone goes to the records office at some point and will look for me.
I'm in Cornwall so no chance of me being able to go there.

Thanks again for the info

Blue

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 30 Apr 2011 16:52

Hi Blue,

Scotlandspeople only have the OPS's taken from the Church of Scotland, and even then many were either not recorded or have been lost.

You won't find them at GROS either, if they were outside the C of S then I believe these or some of them are held at NAS

Blue1

Blue1 Report 30 Apr 2011 16:55

HI Liz,
I do know about that, it's so frustrating as I have the baptism records of three other brothers all recorded same area,and thankfully one of those is my direct ancestor,it's just this pair of twin's that are lost!

Blue

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 30 Apr 2011 16:58

The OPR for above William is on SP, a lot of the earlier records only had the father's name listed

10/07/1759 URQUHART WILLM JAS. URQUHART/ M FRASERBURGH /ABERDEEN 196/00 0010 0141

Blue1

Blue1 Report 30 Apr 2011 17:07

Gosh Liz,
Thanks
how did you find that! I have been looking all day.
Did you enter Aberdeen and then Fraserburgh,and the exact date?

Blue

Blue1

Blue1 Report 30 Apr 2011 17:13

Hi,
found them.Think I'm going blind,didn't see the bit where you can enter the exact date.
Trouble is,I got so frustrated, about an hour ago I downloaded a 1911,so will go and get my card and buy some more credits.

never mind

All the best Blue

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 30 Apr 2011 17:24

Hi Blue

I just copied what you found on IGI :)

Liz

Blue1

Blue1 Report 30 Apr 2011 17:26

Thanks Liz,

Have the entry now just need to download the image.

Will do that after dinner

Thanks again
Blue

Kay????

Kay???? Report 30 Apr 2011 19:40

do a Soundex optiton on the spelling aswell instead of exact spelling as Urquhart maybe spelt different at various stages.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 30 Apr 2011 21:42

Thanks Kay,
I've found the entry at last.Now am just trying to see if the witness's crop up any where in my tree for that time frame.
I can't use the old nameing patterns for finding the mothers name as just have the 1750's generation, all boys, and the next generation all boys.Plus at this point they are not useing maternal maiden names as middle names either

frustrating really.

Blue