Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

First point of contact.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

susan

susan Report 1 May 2011 19:06

May have just found my birth mother, thanks to a wonderful lady Ann Lee. Need help with writing the first letter without giving too much away and causing trouble for anyone especially my mother if nobody knows about me? any ideas?
Many thanks.:0

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 1 May 2011 19:15

I am so pleased for you, but you are right to be cautious. I think you might be able to get some good sound advice from Norcap. They are the society for Adults affected by adoption.

Good Luck, Lou

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 1 May 2011 19:15

I think it is better to have a friend as a go between to start off, then if she doesn't want contact it is easier to go through a 3rd party.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 May 2011 19:22

NORCAP
01865 875000
[email protected]
Sitemap - Copyright © AAA-NORCAP
Follow us on facebook

http://www.norcap.org.uk/#

so very happy for you - do hope you get the outcome you are hoping for

Ann XXX

Flick

Flick Report 1 May 2011 20:51

A direct approach would be a huge shock, and could cause distress. As you say, you 'may' have found the person you seek, but there's a chance that it isn't the same person, so caution is essential

Take the advice above, and contact NORCAP.

Good luck

Shannette

Shannette Report 2 May 2011 18:24

Having been in the same position many years ago I would also advice caution. I am glad now that it was my uncle whom i first rang as he was really shocked --the silence on the other end of the phone was scary ! He then acted as a go between for me as my mother hadn't told her husband or children. In fact it was a long time before everyone was put in the picture. It's worth being patient and discreet . Good luck.

susan

susan Report 9 May 2011 18:55

Just want to thank everyone for their kind words and support.
I sent a very basic letter stating I was reserching my family tree, gave my date of birth and where etc also and asking if possibly we may be related. I enclosed a stamp addressed enverlope hopefully then if someone other than she had opened it nobody would be the wiser. Unfortunately not a happy ending. Got piece of paper back two sentences " please dont contact me again not interested" Mixture of emotions now just wanted to be mindful that not always happy endings and we have to prepare for this.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 May 2011 20:43

Oh Susan my love - I am so very sorry - I wish I could be your Mum!!! You were so careful in how you made your approach and in time she may reflect on that and have a change of heart

Ann XXXX

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 10 May 2011 01:38

Oh what a pity, yet they took the time to write and post the reply, perhaps it's a secret not told to her present family ?

All these TV programs with happy endings dont show the reality.

You did your best , sorry it didn't work out
L