Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone with Dumfries knowledge please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 10 May 2011 01:07

I downloaded an 1872 marriage from Scotlands People a while ago however it does not state any church....it just says "Marriages in the District of Dumfries".

I am wondering if the marriage may have taken place at St Brides (Greyfriars Kirk) please.

Many thanks

Linda x

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 10 May 2011 01:17

~Is it recorded on Familysearch.org ?

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 10 May 2011 01:28

Thanks Lindsey...yes...that is how I found the marriage originally however the LDS record also only states Dumfries.

Linda x

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 May 2011 18:46

The header line "Marriages in the District of Dumfries" refers to the registration district.
The location of the wedding should be given in column 1 - it could well be the bride's home.

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 10 May 2011 22:19

Many thanks mgnv I am not used to Scottish certs. The marriage did indeed take place in the bride's home after Banns...how interesting.

My thanks again

Linda