Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bilston (Staffs) Electorial Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 10 May 2011 14:05

Trying to find who was living at 44 French Buildings, Bank Street, Bilston, Staffordshire from 1930 - 1938.

Does anyone have access to these records please. I can't get to Bilston/ Staffordshire Rec Office.

Many thanks Lou

jax

jax Report 10 May 2011 14:14

Try the Electrol rolls at the nearest main libary to that address

jax

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 10 May 2011 14:24

Hi Jax, As far as I knew Libraries didn't do look ups.

Lou

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 May 2011 14:37

This document will tell you where you can get access.

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/Resources/Documents/e/ERguideWebversionApr2010.pdf

jax

jax Report 10 May 2011 14:38

Not that I have ever tried , but there is no harm in ringing or emailing them.

jax

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 10 May 2011 14:41

InspectorGreenPen & Jax

Thanks again. I will take a look at the site you mention and will give the library a ring. My experience with libraries and family history has always been negative, but will give them a go.

thanks again,

Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 15 May 2011 10:11

Hi Joan,

My own local library has what is supposed to be a 'family history' expert. When I first started I went to mylocal library and requested help, they sent me to the 'expert'. I didn't have a single clue how to go about researching or where to start. His reply was very short and sharp 'read that leaflet'. The leaflet was about local history and nothing about how to start researching. I asked him again and pointed out the leaflet was nothing to do with family history - he replied 'it's a start'. I suppose he was correct in the fact that learning about the local history was important, when you first start this facinating journey you want to starting finding 'something'. It never occured to me to visit the local cemetary and take notes of my grandparents names. They died when I was young and so had never been mentioned. A simple reminder about asking your family and visiting the cemetary would have been helpfull.

But thanks for your comments, maybe I was just unlucky.

Regards, Lou

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 May 2011 10:22

Lou, if you went to just an ordinary local library what they can offer is pretty limited. You need the main library where the records are kept, namely Wolverhampton.

e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 01902 552480
Minicom: 01902 555554
Fax: 01902 552481

Write or visit:

Archives and Local Studies
Wolverhampton City Council
Molineux Hotel Building
Whitmore Hill
Wolverhampton
WV1 1SF

Jan

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 15 May 2011 10:41

Hi

I tried to find Bank Street and did find one and I think it's right. The houses on there are much newer so I guess the property is long gone.

It's actually quite close to Dudley Archives which I used to visit around 1990.

This is the link for them. You could try asking and you never know.

Hope this helps.

Jill

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/local-history--heritage/archive-and-local-history

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 17 May 2011 18:49

Hi Jan and Jill,

Thanks very much for your help. I will definatley look up the website you've given me.

Thanks again, and sorry I was late replying, I had thought I'd sent this message but then computer battery went dead.

Thanks again,

Lou