Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I go from here???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 13 May 2011 23:01

Can anyone tell me how I take my research further please.

I have traced my rellie John Arnold 1800 Bethnal Green and he has a sister Ann Arnold 1802 Bethnal Green. John married Mary Ann Oliver in 1826. John & Ann's parents were also John and Ann Arnold but I can't find the records to confirm the marriage, any more children, siblings, Ann's maiden name or anything else.

Where do I go from here???

Thanks for any help.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 14 May 2011 00:31

You haven't said where you got your info so you may already know about www.familysearch.org

You might find some info on there.

Jill

Lynski

Lynski Report 14 May 2011 00:47

Is this John and Ann?

John William Arnold
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

birth 10 Feb 1800
residence 1800 —London, England
parents: John Arnold, Ann

record title: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
name: John William Arnold
baptism/christening date: 09 Mar 1800
baptism/christening place: SAINT BOTOLPH WITHOUT ALDERSGATE,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND
birth date: 10 Feb 1800
father's name: John Arnold
mother's name: Ann
indexing project (batch) number: C02238-3
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 374442

Ann Arnold
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

birth 21 Nov 1802
residence 1802 —London, England
parents: John Arnold, Ann

record title: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
name: Ann Arnold
baptism/christening date: 12 Dec 1802
baptism/christening place: SAINT BOTOLPH WITHOUT ALDERSGATE,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND
birth date: 21 Nov 1802
father's name: John Arnold
mother's name: Ann
indexing project (batch) number: C02238-3
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 374442

Maddie

Maddie Report 14 May 2011 10:39

above john in 1841
1841 England Census
about John Arnold
Name: John Arnold
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1800
Where born: Middlesex, England

Civil parish: St Botolph Aldersgate
Hundred: London Without the Walls
County/Island: Middlesex

Street Address:

View image

Registration district: East London
Sub-registration district: Cripplegate
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 724
Book: 10
Folio: 16
Page Number: 27
Household Members:
Name Age
John Arnold 41

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 May 2011 11:41

Why have you deleted an earlier thread ?

Linda

Linda Report 14 May 2011 23:58

Thank you all for your replies.
Jillian: My info. came from Ancestry, I have also looked on family search.

Lynn: Yes they are the John and Ann Arnold , that is all the info. I have on them.

Maddie: The 1841 Census showing John Arnold 1800 only shows him how do I find who else is living with him?

Glitter: I was unaware I had deleted an earlier thread. I have only discovered John Arnold 1800's siblings and parents in the last week.

Apologies to all for the delay in responding, I only get online very late at night.

Lynski

Lynski Report 15 May 2011 00:35

There is this in 1841????

ARNOLD, John M 40 1801 Middlesex
ARNOLD, Mary Ann F 45 1796 Middlesex
RG number
HO107 Piece
709 Book/Folio
2/37 Page

Registration District
Shoreditch Sub District
St Leonard Enumeration District
Ecclesiastical Parish

Civil Parish
St Leonard Shoreditch Municipal Borough
Tower Hamlets Address
Hoxton Old Town York Place, St Leonard Shoreditch, Tower Hamlets County
Middlesex

Lynski

Lynski Report 15 May 2011 00:37

1851 census????

ARNOLD, John Head Married M 51 1800 Shoe Maker
London
Middlesex
ARNOLD, Mary A Wife Married F 59 1792 Shoe Binder
London
Middlesex
RG number
HO107 Piece
1534 Folio
106 Page

Registration District
Shoreditch Sub District
Saint Leonards Enumeration District
3 Ecclesiastical Parish

Civil Parish
Saint Leonard Shoreditch Municipal Borough
Tower Hamlets Address
7, York Place, Saint Leonard Shoreditch, Tower Hamlets County
Middlesex

Linda

Linda Report 15 May 2011 21:59

Thanks Lynne, unfortunately, Mary Ann seems to get older each Census thus giving me a wider range to sort through. I just don't know where to go from here to further my tree!!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 15 May 2011 22:04

If you click on "my threads" on the left you will see all threads you have started or posted in.

Your earlier thread will be there if you have not deleted it. It's hard to delete a thread without being aware of it. And it's against the rules to start a new thread about a person/family you already have a thread about (whether it's been deleted or not).

Surely you see the potential for people wasting time "finding" what was already posted in that previous thread.

Nobody can really answer hypothetical questions. Either records are accessible or they aren't!

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 15 May 2011 22:14

"The 1841 Census showing John Arnold 1800 only shows him how do I find who else is living with him?"

You say you use Ancestry. Don't you ever view the original image? The link is on the right-hand side.

As it is John isn't living with anybody else, or I should say cohabiting as he is living with lots of people.

When there is a single stroke on the left-hand side of the name that denotes the end of a household. A double stroke denotes the end of an address.

There are 21 people at his address split over 9 households. As the last 5 are single people they are possibly either lodgers or boarders.

Ozi

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 15 May 2011 22:23

Keep in mind that the single stroke was used somewhat randomly, and Ancestry has interpreted it rigorously.

If a two-year-old child in a household was not a blood relation, or had a didfferent surname, the census workers put a single stroke, resulting in the child being hived off into a household of its own -- which of course was not the case.

Ancestry has also just split up members of households randomly in 1841 -- you'll find a family of two parents and five children all together, or the male head separate from the other group, or each of them shown as separate households, for no reason at all.

So at Ancestry, at least, and especially in the 1841, it's important always to look at the image, as Ozi says. Sometimes one will find that a child is living next door to its parents, or a parent in the household of a married daughter, or the like, and this won't show in Ancestry's transcription.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 May 2011 22:25

Really strange as I had posted info on the orignal thread so I know it had existed

Linda

Linda Report 16 May 2011 22:55

Thank you all for your input. Apologies if I've upset anyone by not sticking to the rules! Unfortunately, I struggle around computers and find it very difficult as I have to teach myself by trial and error plus my age is against me. (When I last worked for a company the most updated piece of equipment was an electric typewriter).
Thanks again, I'll try harder in future.