Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Misssing in 1861

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 14 May 2011 14:54

My Davis family are all missing in 1861.

I updated my thread on finding George with details of what I have found out since the help I received.

My problem now lies in the fact that I thought that maybe the parents had both died since I could not find them in 1861 but I can't find any of the children either. Any suggestions on where they may have gone?

Alfred Georges' son joined the Army here is the UK at some point though no idea when - what I do know is that at the time of his son Alfred's birth he was based at Aldershot barracks.

The family I'm trying to find are as follows;
HEAD: George Davis b1809 Westminster
WIFE: Louisa M Davis bc1920 London (she was a minor at the time of marriage)
DAUG: Louisa Davis bc 1838 (only found in 1841 not on 1851 census so presumed died)
SON: George M Davis bc1842 Chelsea (I've come across a George J but the Bapt found for him has his mother as Mary so I'm figuring not the right one)
DAUG: Elizabeth Davis bc1844 London
SON: Alfred Davis bc 1847 London
DAUG: Dinah Davis bc 1848 London

If anyone has suggestions they'd be much appreciated.

Gypsyjoe

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 May 2011 15:06

1861 strange !!

Name: Dinah Davis
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Relation: Head
Where born: Finchley, Middlesex, England

Civil parish: Friern Barnet
Ecclesiastical parish: Friern Barnet
County/Island: Middlesex

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage: View image

Registration district: Barnet
Sub-registration district: Finchley
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 15
Piece: 790
Folio: 23
Page Number: 3
Household Members: Name Age
Dinah Davis 12

RULE it out as she is living with her parents

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 May 2011 15:07

Is this the parents' marriage? If so her name was Louisa Mary so the baptism that you found for George Jr. could be correct with mother going by second name.

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921
about George Davis Name: George Davis
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
Spouse Name: Louisa Mary Gunn
Spouse Age: Minor
Record Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 31 Jan 1838
Parish: St Bride Fleet Street
County: London
Borough: City of London
Father Name: John Davis
Spouse Father Name: George Gunn

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 14 May 2011 15:37

Hi Margee

The marriage you found is the correct one.

I did consider that though on the immage of the 1851 census it looks as though the middle initial is M and not J I could be wrong. Do you think she would have used her middle name at her childs baptism though? Also it states his place of birth as Chelsea but the bapt is St Brides Fleet Street, though having said that the parent's did marry there so I don't know.

The family at this point all seem to have come from around Westminster Chelsea area.

Has anyone a time machine it would make things much easier I could go and knock on their door. :)

patchem

patchem Report 14 May 2011 15:37

Are you looking for any George Davi*s, or does it have to have an M, as this looks possible
1861 England Census
George Davis
Relation: Lodger Gender: Male Where born: London, England
Civil parish: Chelsea St Luke County/Island: Middlesex
Country: England Occupation: porter Registration district: Chelsea Sub-registration district: Chelsea North East
ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Household schedule number: 138 Piece: 37 Folio: 100 Page Number: 31

Henry Huntley 49
Sarah Huntley 49
Henry J Huntley 25
George Davis 19

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 37; Folio: 100; Page: 31; GSU roll: 542561.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 14 May 2011 16:04

Hi patchem

I was searching for any Georges born in Chelsea since middle initial's weren't always added.

That certainly could be him couldn't it. I guess there's no way of really knowing though is there?

I'll look at it further though and see what I can find folling that. I wonder where all the rest of the family are though.

I know Alfred survived since I'm here.

I just did a BMD seach for a George J Davis there's one for Sept Q 1843 in chelsea but the George J baptism I found if for Mar 1843 so that doesn't work either.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 14 May 2011 16:41

I' had a look at another version of the 1851 census and then did a BMD search and with the suggestion that it may be George B Davis. This would make more sense.

Bethell is repeated a bit.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 14 May 2011 19:05

Have you found anyone in 1871?

The 1861 census is missing a few pages. Several of my families are missing.

Missing areas are mentioned here:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8767

Rose

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 16 May 2011 09:47

Rose

Unfortunately not. I have Albert in 1881, but that is it. I thought I may have found George married to a Susannah but now I don't think it is him.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 17 May 2011 09:51

Thanks PigletsPal, I have tried that is some cases. Problem lies with common names I guess. It would be nice to have rare ones.