Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genes, find my past, ancestory etc etc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DebifromLeeds

DebifromLeeds Report 15 May 2011 15:55

I would like to know what the difference is between these websites. I've been with Genes for about 6 weeks now and have noticed that a lot of members belong to all these sites plus others and I was wondering why???

Do they all offer something different? Is one better than the other?

Should I stay with Genes after my 6 months is up?

I would like to a site that had access to parish records, trees I can print out.

Thanks

Debi

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 May 2011 16:00

In my opinion it is worth staying with Genes for the message boards alone and for searching trees to try to find people with your ancestors in their trees.

However Genes is not the best site to search records on.

Ancestry and Findmypast are much better for research (Findmypast is owned by the same people as Genes). You can get a 2 week free trial to both of these sites (but remember to cancel before the 2 weeks is up if you don't want to subscribe). My subscription to Ancestry has run out but I have had the subscription since 2004 and I couldn't have done my family history without it.

Kath. x

DebifromLeeds

DebifromLeeds Report 15 May 2011 16:23

Thank you Kath

I'm new to this and have only started using the boards last week, thats when I noticed people had access to lots of sites and I did wonder why.

So, should I opt for Ancestry or Findmypast or is there not much difference?

Debi

Flick

Flick Report 15 May 2011 16:36

More people use Ancestry that FMP, but it depends on what you want.

Check their home pages, to see which records they offer..............and choose the one best suited to your needs.

For parish records, you should always try the LDS sites..........they're FREE, although far from complete

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

There are also a number of OPC's (on line parish clerks) To access them go to........

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/

........and click on the OPC button

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 May 2011 01:46

Just a note

PP ................... findmypast is not the only site where you can get the 1911

I always use the original site

www.1911census.co.uk

This is the official site, records were uploaded on there 6 months before findmypast got access

The search engine is far superior to fmp's

You can do a free search, and even finagle around to get other members of the family

Then you pay-per-view to see the transcript (10 credits) and or the actual image (30 credits).

It costs £6.95 for 60 credits, good for 3 months, or £24.95 for 280 credits, good for 12 months.

In addition, the site itself stores any records that you have paid to see, so that you can always go back to double check that record that you decided wasn't yours and so did not download to your computer.

sylvia

DebifromLeeds

DebifromLeeds Report 16 May 2011 17:32

Thanks for info everyone. I am quite happy with Genes, I have done loads of research and done a good bit of my tree and I only had my grandparents names and DOB's. I enjoy the boards and was just wondering what other sites had to offer, that was different to Genes.

I would like access to parish records and be able to print out my trees.

Genes did PM me and said they were hoping to offer parish records soon. So, if that is correct, I shall stay with them, if not I will switch to another site that does offer that service.

Debi

Joy

Joy Report 16 May 2011 19:47

As has been suggested, if I were you, I would take out a free trial for both ancestry and for find my past; I have found both of them invaluable for military records.

Joy

Joy Report 17 May 2011 17:00

Strangely, some transcriptions in http://www.1911census.co.uk/ differ from those in find my past :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2011 04:20

Joy

That's not surprising. I think FMP might have done at least some of their own transcripts. Just as ancestry is doing their own.

Certainly FMP's search engine is very different from the 1911census site.

I know a lot of people who use the 1911census site to find ancestors, then use the information (reference number, etc etc) to get the transcripts and census images from findmypast ........... this after having failed to find them on findmypast.

I've been told several times that the search engine is far superior on the 1911 site!

PP ....... that's fine IF you have a sub to findmypast.

If you do not, and IF you prefer to use ancestry (or even GR), then the 1911census site is the alternative

and in my humble opinion, a far superior alternative

It also depends on how much research you will be needing to do on the 1911.

I bought 280 credits on 1911 immediately the site was available in 2009, used 260 of them to find my own relatives in the first month, and used the remaining 20 to help someone else as the 12 month period was coming to an end.

That's it. That's all I needed.

Much cheaper than taking out a sub in findmypast!

IF I find I have a need to find someone else, I'll do the same thing ................ at least until ancestry gets the 1911 posted, and assuming ancestry has a good transcription.

but each to his / her own!

sylvia

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 18 May 2011 09:18

The pay-per-view credits on FMP and 1911 are usable on both sites. I have Genes Gold but l am going back to basic when this one expires as it is unnecessary duplication - Ancestry basic but am going to upgrade to premier when this one expires - and keep ppv credits with FMP as I always want to double check there at short notice!

I wouldn't give up Genes as there is so much help available on the boards

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 May 2011 09:30

Just a tip for anyone who is thinking of upgrading from Ancestry Essentials to Ancestry Premium or even to Ancestry Worldwide

Before doing so make certain that the additional records you are getting relevant yo your own lines of research and are worth the extra subscription. I upgraded to Premium without doing my homework first and found very little of use for me - it ended up a complete waste of money, that I could have spent more productively elsewhere.

As far as 1911 is concerned, yes both the current offerings are owned and managed by the same company, and whilst the original records are, obviously the same, the transcriptions, search engines and indices are totally separate. Personally I only use the 'official' 1911 site - rumour is that its transcriptions and search indices are far superior and more accurate.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2011 20:15

IGP

I have also been told several times that the 1911 site is superior in its search engine and transcriptions.

I have had ancestry Premium for several years, and have just renewed. I find it invaluable, and really good when I search for ancestors, even though most of mine range between Buckinghamshire and Lancashire, and OH's from Wales to Westmorland and Yorkshire.

But I also love helping other people, and Premium is what I use most of all for that.

sylvia