Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re; Marjorie Florence Cresp (nee Croaker)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 15 May 2011 16:35

I am looking for any information for Marjorie Cresp, my Grandmother.
She was born in 1906 to James Henry Mortimer Croaker and Florence Oldfield.
She went on to marry Jacques Julien Cresp (Hotel Waiter from Nice, South of France) in 1929 and they had a daughter Therese in 1930.
On my mothers birth cert it shows they were living at 44 waltheof Gardens Tottenham London
After this the information about Marjorie seems to dry up.
There was a family tale that said Marjorie died two years after giving birth but I cant find any proof of this.
Cannot ask relatives as they have all passed away.
Any help would be wonderful.
Paul

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 May 2011 16:45

Do you know what happened to Jacques ? there doesnt seem to be any records for him other than the marriage, Was your mum brought up in this country, Is it possible they went to France

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 15 May 2011 17:12

Hi Shirley
Thanks for the reply,
I know that Jacques ended up living in Paris working on air France as a steward whilst my Mother was brought up in this country by J H M Croaker and his wife Florence.
As a boy I went out to visit the family in Nice and also stayed with my Grandfather in Paris but my Grandmother was never mentioned !!
There is a possibility they moved to france but I cannot find any records of this on ships passenger lists etc.
Any suggestions as to my next angle of attack would be appreciated.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 15 May 2011 17:12

airline steward

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Jacques Cresp
Name: Jacques Cresp
Arrival Date: 19 Oct 1948
Birth Year: abt 1910
Birth Location: France
Birth Location Other: nice
Ethnicity/RaceĀ­/Nationality: French
Port of Departure: Orly Airport, Paris, France
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Airline: Air France
Search Ship Database: View the Air France in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 May 2011 17:17

This is Marjorie in the 1911 census:-

CROAKER, James Henry Mortimer Head Married M 30 1881 Railway Signal Linesman Maintaining Electric Signals On Railway Windsor
CROAKER, Florence Wife Married
7 years F 29 1882 Walworth London
CROAKER, James Son M 6 1905 Camberwell London
CROAKER, Marjorie Daughter F 5 1906 Camberwell London<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Address
109 Rosebery Gardens Harringay London N

Reference
RG14PN7281 RG78PN355 RD132 SD3 ED4 SN354

Kath. x

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 15 May 2011 17:19

Hi Lindsey

Thanks for post, that would all tie up with my research, found quite a few records for Jacques on Ancestry travelling to New York.
Just cant find anything for Marjorie???

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 15 May 2011 17:21

Thats the one Kathleen

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 15 May 2011 17:59

Hi Lindsey

You didnt come across a Julien cresp and a Maria cesp on the ships manifests, they are possibly my grand uncle and aunt.
I've tried to google Ship Database but dont seem to come up with the same results as you.
How did you get there??
Thanks
Paul

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 15 May 2011 18:12

this one with Maria

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Julien Cresp
Name: Julien Cresp
Arrival Date: 20 Aug 1951
Birth Year: abt 1912
Ethnicity/RaceĀ­/Nationality: French
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Liberte
Search Ship Database: Search the Liberte in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 15 May 2011 18:45

Looks like they're the ones, just got to find out Maria's maiden name to open up another branch of the family, the italian connection.
Thank You sooo much everyone!! for the help you given me, another pair of eyes really helps!! The matchsticks currently holding mine up are very relieved :D :D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 May 2011 18:58

The info given that Marjorie died approx two years after your mum was born could be true , She doesnt show in the UK and there's no more births either for the couple. Maybe she died in France thats why no record is showing . Cant get into FMP at the mo but will check consular deaths BUT as her hubby was French her death may have just been registered in accordance with French law

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 May 2011 18:22

Finally been able to check Consular deaths but she doesnt show .

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 20 May 2011 10:56

Thanks for looking Shirley,
Is somebody just dissapearing like this a normal occurance within the Genealogy world?
I'm a bit of a virgin at all of this but definately been bitten by the bug!!!

Any suggestions would be gladly accepted.

Paul

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 May 2011 11:55

Paul
Yes sometimes you just cant find records. I am still looking for death records for some of my twigs. I have explored all possible avenues .even bought certs that turn out to be wrong ones.The frustrating thing is that the ones I am looking for were born in the 1850,s and where still alive in 1911 and then zilch. They wouldn't have gone abroad as the family's didnt travel too far from their home patch or have the money to travel.

So sometimes the records just dont show is what I have found and I am a seasoned researcher who can think outside the box !! :D

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 20 May 2011 12:10

Shirley
I'll just have to keep on hunting, it will make it more fulfilling when I do find the records.
Have got a good book from the library, Genealogy on line edition 8 by Elizabeth Powell Crowe.
Will plough through that for idea's
Thanks
Paul

GeoPaul

GeoPaul Report 29 May 2011 21:57

Nudging