Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with latin on a baptism record (Liverpool)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 16 May 2011 21:12

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone can help me decode the latin on my great grans baptism cert. At the side of her baptism record is a note saying something about my great grandf. Frederick Barnes in 1933, they were actually married in 1913 - its so clearly 1933 in the text that I'm wondering what it is!
Any help hugely appreciated :)

Here are her details:
In Liverpool Catholic Baptisms:
Name: Maria White
Birth Date: 25 Mar 1888
Baptism Date: 25 Apr 1888
Parish: St Anne
Father's name: Joannis White
Mother's name: Helena Mccormac

:S

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 16 May 2011 22:30

I know you say thay married in 1913, but was it on the 7th Oct? In which case it's probably a reference to the marriage and the year is the written equivalent of a typo?

The last word looks like l'pool, could 'eccl' onwards be a ref to a place or church in Liverpool?

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 17 May 2011 02:33

Not much help I am afraid Sarah.

As Kucinta has posted "eccl" is the abbreviation for Ecclesiastical Parish and in Liverpool however "SS" is the abbreviation of Saints (plural) as in the Church of Saints ? and ?.

Do you have the marriage certificate ?

Linda x

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 17 May 2011 08:21

WONDERING HOW AND WHY IT WAS ENTERED
SO MANY YEARS AFTER,
COULD YOU POSS TAKE IT TO A CHURCH NEAR YOU FOR TRANSLATION

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 17 May 2011 08:29

MARRIAGE WAS JUNE QUARTER

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 17 May 2011 08:38

FOUND THI RE OCT DATE

Name: Percy William Barnes
Birth Date: abt 1909
Port of Departure: Beira, Mozambique
Arrival Date: 7 Oct 1933 *************
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Beira
[Natal]
[Port Elizabeth]
[Cape Town]
Ship Name: Gloucester Castle
Search Ship Database: View the 'Gloucester Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company Ltd
Official Number: 132592

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 May 2011 14:03

Now,

You must accept my apologies for my ignorance with the catholic religion as I " know nuffing". Have you also seen her sisters baptism??

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Catholic Baptisms, 1802-1906
about Margarita Helena White
Name: Margarita Helena White
Birth Date: 20 Jul 1883
Baptism Date: 8 Aug 1883
Parish: St Anne
Father's name: Joannis White
Mother's name: Helena Mccormick

This also states her marriage too........ checked it out and it is correct........ is this common practice to go back to the Baptism records and add these details??? Wouldn't life be easier tracing your ancestors if they all did it!!

Dee x

Carol

Carol Report 17 May 2011 14:33

Hiya Sarah
My Grandmother was born in 1895 she married in 1920 on her baptism paper my Grandfather is also listed and the date 1938 its the year he converted to being a Catholic so could that 1933 date be something similar.
Regards Carol

Sarah

Sarah Report 17 May 2011 18:11

Thank you all, I do have the marriage cert, they were married June 8 1913, in St Lukes c of e church but had a blessing in the porch of the local catholic church.

I wonder Carol, if you are right and Freddy converted to the catholic faith; their daughter, my grt aunt, did become a nun around 1950!