Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marraige certificate help.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 17 May 2011 11:01

Hi I just wondered if anyone can help me at all? I am trying to find a marriage certicicate for a Thomas Walter Billington and a Marjorie Stella Bishop. Believe it to be around 1947 in Preston (also believe both of them were married beforehand to different people). Unfortunately I have no idea where to begin to find this information. if they had been married before would they have been able to get married in a church? I am in Suffolk so am unable rto get to Preston records office or simular. Any help or suggestions where I could look for this info would be greatly appreciated. I am finding it difficult to understand the links etc to marraige and birth certificates on here as they just seem to give you a number and not alot more info. Confused.com. : 0 (

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 17 May 2011 11:14

Have PMd Sarah the marriage details.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 May 2011 11:17

It's on FreeBMD but you have to order the certificate to see the details. (It does have 2 names for Marjorie indicating a previous marriage.)

Marriages Mar 1949 (>99%)

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 17 May 2011 11:18

Duplicate thread on Gen Chat

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005 about Robert S Oldfield
Name: Robert S Oldfield
Spouse Surname: Bishop
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1937
Registration district: Birmingham
Registration county (inferred): Warwickshire
Volume Number: 6d
Page Number: 761
Find Spouse: Find Spouse

Flick

Flick Report 17 May 2011 11:23

I presume by 'here' you mean GR..........

It's the worst place to search for anything - except for help from other members.

For Lancashire bmd's.........use

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

It's FREE....and where I found.............

Marriages 1949

BILLINGTON Thomas Walter OLDFIELD Marjorie Stella Preston Register Office or Registrar Attended Preston PRESTON/34A/159

For any BMD info between 1837 and approx 1945...............

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Flick

Flick Report 17 May 2011 11:28

??????

Births Sep 1913 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bishop Marjorie S Betts Coventry 6d 1482

Flick

Flick Report 17 May 2011 11:28

Name: Marjorie Stella Billington
Birth Date: 11 Jul 1913
Date of Registration: Aug 1985
Age at Death: 72
Registration district: Great Yarmouth
Registration County: Norfolk
Volume: 10
Page: 1218

Flick

Flick Report 17 May 2011 11:30

?????

Name: Thomas Walter Billington
Birth Date: 24 Jun 1915
Date of Registration: Apr 1985
Age at Death: 69
Registration district: Norwich Outer
Registration County: Norfolk
Volume: 10
Page: 1946

Sarah

Sarah Report 17 May 2011 20:38

Guys - thank you all so much for all your help!! I am so excited about being able to confirm this information! Thank you al SO VERY MUCH!
I'm also so sorry but I have apparently done a definate 'Mustn't do' and have posted this question twice on 2 dif message boards- this is the first time I have asked for any help on here and i wasn't sure how to go about it or which board to post it on. ; 0 ) I promise I wont do it again!!! I am about to remove the post on general chat to avoid confusion.
I am excited about the fact I alsso know know my nans 1st married name. Please could anyone tell me if divorces etc are listed anywhere so I can confirm dates etc. Also wanted to see if I can find out about my Grandads 1st marraige too!
Thank you, thank you thak you all again for your help & info!!
From a very happy researching Sarahxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Flick

Flick Report 17 May 2011 20:56

You really should try the sites you've been given details of to look for a first marriage for Thomas.................

????birth..based only on the death reg'n

Births Sep 1915 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BILLINGTON Thomas W Willan Preston 8e 879

Flick

Flick Report 17 May 2011 21:01

Assuming he married where he was born...........?????

From freebmd

Marriages Sep 1938 (>99%)

Billington Thomas W Wingrove Preston 8e 1358
Wingrove Freda S Billington Preston 8e 1358

From Lancsbmd

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1938

BILLINGTON Thomas Walter WINGROVE Freda Sydney Preston, St Paul Preston 247/6/70

Do you know of any children from the first marriages?

Flick

Flick Report 17 May 2011 21:05

I'll leave you to find Freda's birth registration.......much more rewarding for you to find it yourself.

Happy hunting

Sarah

Sarah Report 17 May 2011 22:19

Flick - thank u! I knew that her name was Freda but didnt know her last name. Someone also very kindly pm'd me the details.They had one child My Auntie Jan - Janeth Billington. I know my grandad was born in Preston. His dad was called Thomas Head Billington (always thought 'Head' was a strange middle name-but my dad remembers this clearly as his grandads middle name!) Thomas Head was married to Anne Willan. I have some info on Thomas Head including some of his brothers & sisters names. (Harold amongst others). I believe was an engineer. Thomas Heads dad was called Richard. He was I believe married to a Mary but am not sure of Marys maiden name or Richards dads name. All interesting stuff!! I am happily losing hours researching and loving every minute of it!! xxxxxxxxxx

Sarah

Sarah Report 17 May 2011 22:28

Sorry Thomas Head Billington was married to ALICE Willan not Anne!!
Now gotta see if I can confirm Thomas Heads father Richards details and his marraige details and see if I can get back futher! Thanks all!! xxx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 May 2011 22:34

Births Sep 1887

BILLINGTON Thomas Head ....Preston 8e 631

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 18 May 2011 08:36

I notice you have still not deleted the same thread on the General Chat board Sarah!

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 May 2011 09:54

Ooop- thought I had done that yesterday but had just deleted it from my threads. have done it now! xxxx :D