Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Medical Directory for about 1963 Please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 17 May 2011 12:36

Does anyone have access to these for someone who would have qualified in about 1963 - 1966 or perhaps a little later?
I have deleted the name as requested on a later post
Thank you if you can help

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 17 May 2011 13:14

Thanks - that entry is why I am looking. I specifically need the medical directory to find the training school. Thanks though

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 May 2011 14:26

Not sure anyone on here will have such a thing. If all else fails I suppose you could try the BMA archives:

British Medical Association Archives

Archon Code : 1501

Contact Details
BMA House
Tavistock Square
London
WC1H 9JP
England

Tel: 020 7383 6648
Fax: 020 7383 6717
Email: [email protected]

Jan

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 17 May 2011 15:47

Once again, thank you but I tried them and they told me they only had the up to date register. I know that old copies are kept in various repositories and I was hoping that someone may have access to one. I think there are some at Kew but I can't remember the dates kept and it's a long way from here!

~~ Jan ~~

~~ Jan ~~ Report 17 May 2011 23:31

Just a thought.... have you tried the Royal College of Physicians? They've been around since Henry VIII's time. I would have thought they'd have someone looking after the archives!
Good luck! :-)

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 18 May 2011 01:15

This is the BMA site which has info on researching medical practitioners. They do not keep any records themselves. Only current which are confidential

http://www.bma.org.uk/patients_public/tracingadoctor.jsp#Tracingadoctorhistorical

Vera

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 May 2011 14:59

Thank you all but I think I really need a look at the relevant hard copy of the directory

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 19 May 2011 16:36

Sylvie

I know it well red in two volumes. If only it were a few years back I could have accessed it from my work.

The health service is not given to spending too much on these books. They are not renewed in their offices very often. Why not ask your GP if he has any old copies hanging around. You might be lucky or if you have any contact with a hospital your consultant's secretary would have a copy. Even the more up-to-date copies may have details of your man.

Regards

Vera

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 May 2011 17:06

Thank you Vera, just so's others know - I have tried all the usual channels, my hubby is a recently retired GP. I have looked in a much more recent copy to the 19600s and he was not listed
I also doubt that he would now be registered or listed in recent copies as the chap I am trying to find details on was born in 1940
Thanks anyways

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 May 2011 17:53

If the situation is like Canada, the Association is a voluntary organization for physicians, while the College is the governing body for people authorized to practice medicine, and would be the holder of official records. I'd try the College, myself.

If the hap you are looking for was born 1940, is he now deceased, and if not, why are we discussing him in public like this?

This entire question could have been addressed perfectly well without the name let alone the telephone listing.

Any chance that those can be deleted from here now, then?

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 19 May 2011 19:01

Deleted JC as requested.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 19 May 2011 19:08

Hve you tried a library? I know that the one I used to use in Rutland had several Medical Directories

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 May 2011 20:36

JaneyCanuck.
I never meant to cause any upset and I apologise for that. I probably didn't think my original post through before submitting and have now deleted the name as requested. Perhaps if anyone finds a directory, they could just let me know where it is!
I do not understand what is meant by the reference to the telephone listing unless by that you meant the BMA but I can assure her that they will not give out any information, especially over the phone and that number is available anywhere. If I have misunderstood what you meant, let me know please and I will amend the post
I will not write any more on this other than that I do suspect the person I listed is deceased and that the query was posted with honerable intent
Thank you

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 May 2011 20:39

That's cool! (The telephone listing was the one Dea had posted in the thread and has deleted -- I mentioned it because it also had the name.) People often over-explain ... or get asked for too many details. ;)

No apparent death up to 2005 at Ancestry, but a death could well have occurred since then.