Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find the name of a ship on the Census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 17 May 2011 16:04

I have a number of Navy men in my family tree and am finding it very frustrating when I locate them on the census on board ship but there is no ship's name on the census page :S

Can anyone tell me how I can get to the page that gives the ship's name???

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 May 2011 16:07

Sometimes looking at the ED sheet will give the name of a ship

Paul

Paul Report 17 May 2011 16:15

Sorry to be thick, but what is the ED sheet and how do I find it?

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 17 May 2011 16:22

Paul
You should be able to find the ships name by looking at the first census record sheet in the batch by using the arrows at top of the record page, thats if you are using Ancestry or FMP to view these records

However, if you are using GR to look at these records then the facility to go forward or back to look at previous pages etc does not exist.

George

Adeline

Adeline Report 17 May 2011 16:27

Enumeration District.

On Ancestry, enter the name of the person you are searching for and enter "vessels" in the Civil Parish box. When the list comes up, click on View Record and you will see the ship's name. In the 1881 census it is listed under "Street Name"

Paul

Paul Report 17 May 2011 16:33

I'm using GR which explains why I can't get anywhere! I have a friend with an Ancestry account so will tap him up for the info.

Many thanks for your help.