Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prison records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shelma

Shelma Report 17 May 2011 16:35

Hi does anyone know where i can look up prison records for Campbeltown in Argyll? Is it all sites that you have to pay for or are there any free ones

Thanks in advance
Shelma

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 17 May 2011 16:54

hI there,
Depends i suppose on when it was. I had a relative arrested in 1877 and managed to read his arrest sheet in Lincoln. It made for good reading. I did have to ask for it though.

Shelma

Shelma Report 17 May 2011 16:59

It was round about 1854. Who did you ask for the arrest sheet? I would like to see why he was arrested

Shelma

Joe

Joe Report 17 May 2011 20:04

I'm trying to find the same information, please reply nuttybongo. :-)

Shelma

Shelma Report 17 May 2011 20:46

Nuttybongo did reply through a private message Joe. She looked up old newspapers for me but unfortunately they were not my relative. Not sure where to look now though!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 May 2011 22:14

Google Campbeltown Prison. I haven't looked past the home page, but it looks as though there are lots of details about inmates etc.

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 17 May 2011 23:08

Hi there,
Its good to contact the local archives where the town is. They may hold the key to your problem. Tell them what you are looking for and who, and they may have him on record.

Sorry was having my hair cut and then a friend came round. :D

Shelma

Shelma Report 18 May 2011 05:59

Thanks nuttybongo and Andysmum for your advice will certainly try both these options
Thanks again Shelma

Joe

Joe Report 18 May 2011 15:52

Thanks everyone!