Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandfather's siblings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lucy

Lucy Report 17 May 2011 20:16

My grandfather was born 1914 and died 1942. So right after 1911 census.

Trying to establish if he had siblings ( and so I might have paternal great uncles/aunts and cousins !)

I have his birth certificate and details of HIS uncles from 1891 and 1911 census' but in terms of looking at his siblings, where do I start ?

Any experienced searchers able to offer any tips, I'd be really grateful :o)

Lucy

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 17 May 2011 20:20

If you have his birth cert you will know his mother's maiden name.

Go to freebmd.org.uk and search in the surname and mother's maiden name. Hopefully some siblings will come up in the same area as your grandfather was born. You can't be sure they're related but it will be a place to start.

Ozi

patchem

patchem Report 17 May 2011 20:27

Also, have you worked out when his parents married (to see if before 1911, so you can look for other siblings/his family then)?

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 17 May 2011 20:32

Have you looked at the 1911 census for his parents? Although your grandfather wasn't born in 1911, it may show older siblings living with his parents in the same household.

Lucy

Lucy Report 17 May 2011 20:32

Fab - thank you !! So if I search birth records with his mothers name I would (potentially) locate her (other) childrens birth ?

Lucy

Lucy Report 17 May 2011 20:35

Pamela - I tried that route yes but his parents were still single and living with their respective families, so guessing he ws the eldest?!

Lucy

Lucy Report 17 May 2011 20:41

AM very excited - Ozi have followed your instruction and found potential great aunt and twin great uncles - thank you !!

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 17 May 2011 20:56

Happy hunting,

Ozi