Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What to do next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 17 May 2011 21:38

Hi all

I feel as if I have got as far as I can with my tree and have no idea what to do next.

Years of research and I feel as if I am just going to have to stop. Really frustrating.

Anyone else had this?

Jacqui

Astra

Astra Report 17 May 2011 21:45

Have you come to a full stop because your research has stalled at one point. Is it a brick wall that is impossible to overcome. Waiting for a number of years may well provide an answer as more records become available online. I was stuck for over five years before I found an answer to one problem with my tree but it was worth the wait.
Or are you stopping for another reason?

Flick

Flick Report 17 May 2011 21:49

Everyone reaches a sticking point at some stage..........it's inevitable.

Have you asked for help with whatever it is that is frustrating you?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 17 May 2011 21:50

Hi Astra

Seemed to have stalled everywhere. Will perhaps have to wait till I retire and can spend all my time visiting records offices.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 17 May 2011 21:53

Hi Flick

Not really tried asking for help as I think I will probably only find more now by visiting records offices

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 May 2011 11:49

Jacqui
You could maybe post a thread asking if anyone is researching at a particular office.
I really miss scrolling through film or microfiche,as none of my research is near where I live, so I'm always happy to look on behalf of other people who live out of the area.
Main libraries often have some parish records on film too.

Gwyn

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 18 May 2011 18:38

Hi thanks for the replies.

Gwyn - Same here I dont really live near the records offices I need either, I enjoy visiting them and have made short breaks trips but as so few are open at weekends I just run out of leave.

Like Piglets Pal I am back to mid early 1700s on most of my paternal lines. Mums Irish so have only made a little progress on that..

Ive been researching for over 10 years now. Gone back through my direct lines and then forward agan through siblings families.

Im looking for more evidence on my main paternal line to firm up some assumptions and conclusions I have made whhich take me back to the 1600s.

I also have a link to a medieval pedigree (recorded in an updated version of the cornwall visitations) which I would like to gather more evidence on to prove or disprove,

Having spent so much time on it I think I feel a little lost and should probably find somemore hobbies till I have more time!

Jacqui