Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HH

HH Report 18 May 2011 22:51

Hi can anyone tell me why when i try to view my full tree the top half is missing it was there this morning !!!!! :-(

Donna17

Donna17 Report 18 May 2011 23:22

Someone has pruned it!!

Have you tried closing GR and then opening it again?
Was it stuff you added this morning - did it all save properly?

HH

HH Report 18 May 2011 23:51

The cheek of it i can prune my own garden thankyou!!!! No its stuff thats been on for ages aswell there is just a line going upwards and then nothing, will try logging off and opening up again, cheers Donna

Donna17

Donna17 Report 19 May 2011 00:02

I hope its back when you reopen :)

If it isn't, try emailing the support team - I did once before when I couldn't save anything and they sorted it out pretty quick.

Plus every now and then get one of the Gedcom files emailed to me - just in case something goes horribly wrong and I lose my tree on here, at least I will always have a copy of it.

Donna

HH

HH Report 19 May 2011 00:46

Thanks again donna, dont mean to sound a numpty but whats a gedcom???

Donna17

Donna17 Report 19 May 2011 03:33

Good question! ;)

All I know is that it's a standard file that contains family tree stuff (stands for genealogical data communication), and you can export it from here and then import it into other family tree programmes so that you don't have to start again from scratch.

So for instance, if you wanted to start a tree on Ancestry or using Family Tree Maker software, you could export your tree from here (click family tree in the bar at the top, then Gedcoms, and follow the instructions to export. It gets emailed to you), save it to your pc, then import it into one of those programs and voila! Ready made tree :D

DottyAnn

DottyAnn Report 20 May 2011 09:09

Hi Donna
I know this isn't my thread but as you know about Gedcoms maybe you can answer questions for me too. As an 'oldie' I am not terribly computer literate and am nervous about 'losing' my tree!
I have over 1300 people on my tree, only on Genes and on paper. If I were to have a Gedcom emailed to me and saved it to my computer, would it include all the information I have put into 'Notes' etc and would I be able to burn it onto a blank DVD for safety and in case I later buy a Family Tree programme?
Regards
Ann

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 May 2011 09:14

Ann, or is it Dorothy?

In answer to your questions, yes, you could do exactly that. However, if you have attached any photographs or other documents, these will not be added to the gedcom file you receive from GR.

DottyAnn

DottyAnn Report 20 May 2011 09:30

Thank you so much. I haven't added any documents or photos to my tree, just keeping it simple!
I am 'Dorothy' on this site for accuracy as it is my registered first name but I have always been called 'Ann' which is my middle name. Sorry if it causes confusion!
Maybe your answers will help others who are nervous PC users too so again, many thanks for replying and clarifying the use of Gedcoms.
Ann

Huia

Huia Report 20 May 2011 09:40

Dorothy, aka Ann, you should use the board name DottyAnn, then you would not cause the same confusion! But then perhaps you are not dotty. (I was just joking about the name, just in case you take offence).

Huia aka The Old Crow.

DottyAnn

DottyAnn Report 20 May 2011 09:47

No offence taken, I'm as dotty as they come!!
I was actually thinking of changing my Board name and DottyAnn is as good as anything I can think of so thanks for the suggestion!
Ann aka DottyAnn

DottyAnn

DottyAnn Report 20 May 2011 09:56

Name change accomplished!!
Glad to be of service Chris956, I needed a bit of cheering up too, following a ding-dong with a horrible nosey neighbour yesterday!!