Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 Census transcription help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 May 2011 14:56

1851 census transcription.
I have asked this before but all previous leads (for which I was very grateful) led to dead ends and I am hoping that fresh eyes may help.
My brick wall (which now seems to be actually set in stone) is the chap below. If only I could decipher or make a good guess at his place of birth which I don't think is Awsworth, Middlesex. Any suggestions (apart from Harmondsworth & Hanwell) would be greatly appreciated.
I have his marriage etc and a possible on the 1861 (without a birthplace) so please don't look for those.
Thank you

From Ancestry I have

Name: Henry Brown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1815
Relation: Lodger
Where born: Awsworth, Middlesex, England

Civil parish: Westminster St John The Evangelist
Ecclesiastical parish: St Stephen
County/Island: Middlesex

Pam

Pam Report 19 May 2011 16:13

Hanworth, Middlesex....it looks like Ampworth on the original

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 May 2011 17:08

Thank you all
All suggestions continue to be useful

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 May 2011 17:46

I think I go with Ainsworth.

If you search all censuses using only the place of birth and no other criteria

county Middlesex (you can also try London for later census results)
parish or place A*worth

then in 1851, for instance, you get 36 results (for some reason my results list says 1, but when I click there are 36), most of which are Ainsworth, but also

Awsworth (your Henry)
Almsworth
Arinsworth
Anworth
Ackworth (corrected to Yorkshire)
Armsworth
Ashleworth
Anworth
Answorth

and one pair corrected from Ainsworth to Harmondsworth!

They look mostly like misreadings/misspellings of Ainsworth. I looked randomly at Daniel Tomkins, Amsworth, and it's Ainsworth.

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 May 2011 19:43

I would transcribe it as Amsworth, although Ainsworth is possible.

Given that the head of h/h is reporting on a lodgers pob, I think the head didn't actually know the place, and my guess is that it was Hanworth, not exactly the gateway to London. Today it's an area of southern Hounslow, abt 1 mile N of Kempton Park racetrack. Back then, it would have been a village at most. I can't see any other possible misspelling that corresponds to a place in Middx or London.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 May 2011 19:53

Findmypast have transcribed it as Ainsworth.

Kath. x

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 19 May 2011 20:13

I am noting all of this down, thank you all again, such well researched answers. I shall go back and do the 'just A*worth' search as well.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 May 2011 20:35

mgnv may be onto something with the dropped H.

I also tried a general search for birthplace hai*sworth (and try other variations) -- there's a Samuel Pickford in Westminster St Margaret in 1861 who reports place of birth Hainsworth, but the Middlesex may have been added in after.

Various other options like that as well, although Hainsworth, Hampshire or Yorkshire or Staffordshire, or Hailsworth, Lancashire or Northamptonshire or Suffolk or Wales, are all there too ...

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 19 May 2011 21:21

Why not Harmondsworth,though? I have no idea how the locals pronounce it,but from Genuki :

"HARMONDSWORTH, (or Hamsworth), a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.E. of Staines, and 5 W. of Hounslow.

1851 census transcription details for: Holly Bush, Enfield
PRATT, Robert Head Married M 37 1814 Labourer
Armsworth
Middlesex

1861 census transcription details for: Holly Bush, Enfield
County: Middlesex
PRATT, Robert Head Widower M 46 1815 Labourer
Harmondsworth
Middlesex

Also Robert Gates in 1861
Name: Robert Gates
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1823
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Eliza Gates
Mother's name: Martha Gates
Where born: Armsworth, Middlesex, England
Civil parish: Staines

seems to have Sipson as his birth place in all the other census.

Maureen

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 May 2011 21:47

The censuses do show a load of Browns born in Harmondsworth. Of course, there are probably loads of Browns born anywhere. ;)

In 1851, there are:

Martha Brown William abt 1795 Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England Wife Twickenham, Middlesex
and children
James Brown abt 1822 Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England Son Twickenham, Middlesex
Emma Brown abt 1832 Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England Daughter Twickenham, Middlesex

Martha and William might be Henry's parents, you never know. William was born Twickenham c1898 and is a labourer. Martha and Emma are laundresses, and James a coach painter. In 1851 Henry was a carman, for info.

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 May 2011 01:28

I think Maureen's gotten it - Genuki continue with

SIPSON, (or Sepston) a village in the parish of Harmondsworth, county Middlesex, 7 miles W. of Brentford