Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LD

LD Report 19 May 2011 16:08

I am trying to help a friend find out about her birth mother. She has her Birth Cert so knows mother's name and where she was born but that is all. We cannot pinpoint the correct person from that.
She also has her Adoptive Birth Cert which gives the court that dealt with case. I have spoken to them but they say they can't help.

Any suggestions or guidance?

Joy

Joy Report 19 May 2011 17:08

I would try contacting NORCAP - http://www.norcap.org.uk/

LD

LD Report 19 May 2011 17:13

Thank you Joy
Will suggest she contacts them.

Donna17

Donna17 Report 19 May 2011 18:35

Does she have her adoption file? Sometimes that has some more information. Most people get it when they first get their birth certificate, but I guess it depends how she got her birth certificate.

She will need to go through social services (or the adoption society that dealt with her adoption if she knows there was one) - the area where she lives now or where she was adopted should be able to help her. Often they have a post-adoption section.

Donna

LD

LD Report 19 May 2011 19:48

Thanks Donna, will look into that as well.

Marian

Marian Report 19 May 2011 20:59

Hi, we had the same thing with my adoption file,they said it had gotten burnt ina fire !!!,this was long time ago in 1938 when I was born.Have just got a lot further by phoning the hospital where my bieth records were held,they found an admissions and discharge register for that year,and on it it had my mothers age,her mothers name and address.so maybe your friend knows where she was born?
Hope this helps
Marian

Donna17

Donna17 Report 19 May 2011 21:08

Marian - that was good luck! :)

When I asked for my adoption file the social services department involved said they couldn't find it. Yet when my MP got involved they miraculously found it again!
I used to work with old adoption files and I know that sometimes they can be very tricky to find, but I know how important they are to people and there isn't really an excuse for losing them. Except perhaps a burning building ;)

Marian

Marian Report 19 May 2011 21:23

I know, it was very disappointing to be told thisbut luckily there are other ways if you search long enough. I had even rangthe hospital 3 times over the years to be told birth register for my year was missing,but this time I had a very helpful person who looked a bit further and found an admissions and discharge which gave me quite a bit more info.I was adopted in 1938 soa long time ago.
Good luck
Marian

Locket18

Locket18 Report 25 May 2011 09:11

I too was adopted and have sucessfully completed my search, let me know what info you have and I'll have a look for you.

Anne-Marie