Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

repository, source, citation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

moonbi

moonbi Report 20 May 2011 00:00

For census images
I have a 1841 census for my ancestor and his family which I have downloaded from GR.

I understand how to enter the repository source and page citation in my Family tree maker program.

My question is "what is the repository for this record?
and "what is the source for this record?

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 May 2011 01:17

These records are in the National Archives at Kew.
The normal way to cite an 1841 census page is:
HO107/piece #/book #/folio #/page #.

If you've got an image, then in the margin, just off the page image proper, is the PRO copyright slip which will have HO107/piece #/book #/ printed on it.
The folio # is stamped on every other page (on the front, not the back of the sheet) - the folio # applies to two consecutive pages (i.e.,to the sheet). The page # is printed on every page, but a piece (or piece/book in 1841) is made up of a number of Enumeration Districts, and each enumerator's book will have a page 3, say, in it, so one needs to distinguish all the page 3s, which is done via the folio #.

moonbi

moonbi Report 20 May 2011 03:45

thank you very much

That explanation is very clear. and easy to follow.

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 May 2011 07:07

Although you asked specifically abt 1841, I imagine you'll eventually cite other censuses.

After 1841, the book # was dropped.
In 1851, the PRO/NA still used the HO107 class #, but the pieces are in a higher range.
In 1861-1901, the PRO used the class #s RG9-RG13.

1911 is rather different. The piece #s were changed so that each ED got its own piece #. However, the individual households don't have page #s, so to identify a h/h page, one has to give the h/h sequence #.
One could precede this with RG14/piece # or with RD#/SD#/ED# (i.e., the registration district #, the registration sub-district #, the Enumeration District #.

Caution - Ancestry's 1911 summary book transcription doesn't give the piece #, and they consistently mistranscribe the RD#.

moonbi

moonbi Report 21 May 2011 10:54

Thanks again,
I only need as far as 1841, because my ancestor came to Australia in 1850.

However his father stayed in Northamptonshire and I have found him also on the 1841 census as well, but the father died before the 1851.

Thanks again for your advice.