Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Names query?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 20 May 2011 21:31

I wonder if someone could tell me what Ada and Bertha might be the shortened version of please?

Thanks
Frances

Flick

Flick Report 20 May 2011 21:33

They aren't shortened versions of anything

They are complete names

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2011 21:38

I agree with Flick - they are names in their own right.

Kath. x

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 20 May 2011 21:42

Thank you, was hoping it would give me a clue to my search as am not finding these names on the census or Free BMD.

It was worth a try, thanks
Frances

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 May 2011 21:45

Why not put some details on here Frances, if you're stuck? Maybe one of us might be able to help out.
Jan

Flick

Flick Report 20 May 2011 21:48

You must have got the names from some records.............where did you find them?

Who are you looking for?

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 20 May 2011 21:56

I have been given some help on here already which is where I got the names from. I have tried searching myself but have not had any luck.

The person I am looking for is Ada Bertha Sergeant, nee Welch. Born 1875 in Lowestoft.
The info I have been given is from the 1911 and 1901 census.
Other info received suggests that her father was James Welch, b.abt 1850, with a sister Annie b.abt 1870.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Frances

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 May 2011 21:57

Might it be better to revive the original thread?

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 20 May 2011 21:58

Ok, sorry. will do :)

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 20 May 2011 22:22

My great aunt was called Ada, but christened Adelaide.

Carol

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 May 2011 01:54

Bertha could be Elizabeth.
I had gg aunts (twins) known for some unknown reason as Kate and Ada, who were really called Susan and Matilda!!

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 21 May 2011 07:29

Thank you Carol, Joan and Maggie for your replies

Frances

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 21 May 2011 18:08

My Maternal Grandmother was Beatrice Maria, but always known as Bertha.

I sometimes think families called their daughters by "pet" names, Beatrice's elder sister Mary was "Auntie Polly", only realised when researching this branch who Polly was and that Bertha was really my Grandma Beatrice. Both were long gone as was my Mum and aparently no-one but me was interested (or maybe that should be nosey) enough to find out. ;-)

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 21 May 2011 21:15

You need to have some pretty good detective skills to find some of those elusive family members, don't you?

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 22 May 2011 12:36

I don't know about Bertha in past times being known as anything else, but but I have a friend who's name is Roberta, and she's always been known as Bertha.