Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Transcriptions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 21 May 2011 09:52

Is it a transcription error when two people who married are under different reference numbers?

On one site they are on the same reference number but on the other one is on page number 925 and the other on 926, if I decided to send off for the marriage cert which reference number should I use.

Thanks

Huia

Huia Report 21 May 2011 09:54

Can you put a note on your order form saying that there appear to be 2 different page numbers, and you want the cert for ....and name them?

Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 21 May 2011 09:55

But also name the 2 different page numbers.

Huia.

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 21 May 2011 10:00

I could probably or ring them.

I could also go to the records office where the cert is held but I don't like going to the one where it is they are not particularly helpful so I try to order them off the GRO.

Huia

Huia Report 21 May 2011 10:00

I am wondering what sites you have looked at? If it is the official GRO site, then they need to know of the error. So should the others, but official sites are more important in my opinion.

Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 21 May 2011 10:02

Ah. you answered my question while I was asking it!

Huia.

Flick

Flick Report 21 May 2011 10:09

Have you checked the IMAGES? That may help with deciding which Page no is correct.

Did you find the records on freebmd?

If so, they have a facility whereby you can notify them of erroneous transcriptions

If you are unable to check the images..............why not ask for help in doing so

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 21 May 2011 10:28

Flick,

I did find the record on freebmd and they are the ones that had them on the same page number FMP don't, can I ask FMP to alter it, I know you can ask for corrections on freebmd as I have before.

Flick

Flick Report 21 May 2011 13:18

Not sure about FMP - I only have 1911 census with them.

But they have a very good facility for advising errors on the 1911, so I would imagine they also accept them on bmd's etc...........

Sorry I can't be more definite..........

If you plan to order the cert, I would suggest that you do so through the link from freebmd to the GRO

Pam

Pam Report 21 May 2011 16:58

Click on "View Original Image" when the original image comes up on the screen at the top right hand side you can report transcription errors.

Huia

Huia Report 22 May 2011 08:23

Staffslass, your avatar bothers me. Is that steeple really falling over? Which church is it. I know it is not Dilhorn All Saints.

Huia whose ancestors came from Dilhorn.

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 22 May 2011 09:42

HuiaAllYear,

It is Lichfield Cathedral, Staffordshire and it is the angle that I took the picture from that makes it look like that.

At the bottom of the smaller looking "spire" is a stone carving of my grandads head, which is why I took it from this angle, it was put there in the 1950s as a thank you for all the restoration work he did on the Cathedral, one day I will actually go on the roof and see it as they sometimes do tours up there but they are doing more restoration on it at the moment.

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 22 May 2011 09:50

Pam,

Have done as you said will now await their decision.

Thank you.

Huia

Huia Report 22 May 2011 09:52

Yes, I thought it might be the angle at which the pic was shot, but it does look alarming.

Have you visited Dilhorn? The church has an octangular tower. I think there are only 5 in England with octangular towers.

Huia.

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 22 May 2011 10:11

I am not sure if I have visited it and if I have it wasn't recently,

Lichfield is one of 3 three spired Cathedrals Truro and one in Edinburgh being the others I have been to Truro.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 May 2011 10:41

Staffslass

I think you'd better add Salisbury cathedral to your list. At 404ft, it has the tallest spire in England. As a child, I remember being told that the height was the same as the number of miles from London to Edinburgh!!

Staffslass

Staffslass Report 22 May 2011 14:54

If you mean to visit Salisbury apparently I have but I don't remember because I was so young. Maybe I should go again, it looks very nice.